Nieghbor harrasment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope1968

We are having problems with our nieghbors. We live out in the country and share an acre tract of land. We also share one entrance into the property. Our nieghbors live in the front we live in the back. When we purchased the property we were told we had to keep the easement free and clear at all times, it is not to be blocked. As soon as we moved in the nieghbors started blocking the shared path. When we leave our property we have to sit and wait for them to move there vehicles, sometimes we have to get out of our car go knock on there door and wait for them to come move there car. When we come home it is the same..we cant enter our own property. What happens if an emergency vehicle needs to get through??
A few months after we moved in they bought 2 horses, they put up a rope fence to keep the horses enclosed. Problem is the horses are 10 feet from our front door. The horses have now been there for 4 years. Not 1 time in those 4 years have they cleaned the horse manure. The manure is piled high and the stink is awful. We have an infestation of flies, i have never seen anything like it. Our whole front of house and our cars are black with flies and when we open our front door flies swarm in. Also our nieghbors have over 30 cats, they just keep reproducing, the cats are destroying the underside of our trailer house, we have had to fix this damage numerous times, the cats tear our trash up daily and poop and pee in our garage.
We finally had enough of all these issues, so we called the sherrif department, they came out and told them to clean the place up. The nieghbors were furious. After several ugly emails from them they did get rid of the cats and cleaned up the horse pen and put out fly protector to get rid of the flies. After about 2 months the woman sent me an email asking if the flies were under control and told me what they had done to fix this problem. I replied and thanked her for taking care of the problem. Then she replied and said they were in financial hardship and wanted us to pay to continue the fly control, needless to say i was outraged that she had the nerve to ask us to pay for a problem that they were causing. So i sent an email back saying this to her and that those were there responsibilities not ours and that we would never ask them to pay for something we had caused. and also letting her know that we were unhappy about the driveway being blocked. I asked if we should put a do not block driveway sign up so that there company would not continue to block the path and i reminded her in our deeds the path is to stay free and clear. I was very nice in my emails i never threatend, or used bad language. She was furious that i had the nerve to bring this up. She said they would block the driveway at every oppurtunity,and if we put up a sighn she would tear it up. they were not going to clean the horse pen because they cant afford to do it. Then she started using fowl language and discusting remarks and made threats against us. We have called the sherriffs department again and they were going to call them and tell them not to block the path and not to send us anymore emails. He said he could not come out for another 3 days and he would come meet with us and asses the situation. I am wondering if we have any legal recourse and what we can do to make sure the path stays unblocked, the horse pen stays clean, that they continue to treat for flies and they also keep down the number of cats. I dont think these are unreasonable requests. We also do not want to communicate with them directly because they are unable to be civil. I refuse to be drawn into a war of words. Any suggestions???? Thank you.

This is not a rental situation?
How is it that the horses are so close to your home and not on your property? Is it possible to move the fence and relocate the horses?
Are the horses malnourished or otherwise not cared for? If so try contacting Animal Control.
If your deed defines an easement consider having a survey done and the easement clearly marked. Warn your neighbor and post signs indicating that vehicles blocking the easement will be towed. Contact a local tow company and inform them of your problem. They may be able to help to control the problem as they would be happy to snatch up anyone blocking your driveway.
If you want to take on the expense,consider fencing and gating the easement so it can not be blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back