Other Criminal Charges & Offenses new orleans saints FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

longrange

ESPN is reporting that the NOS organization and general manager are being investigated for wiretapping opponents' locker rooms. FBI is now involved. What is the formal criminal charge called for electronic eavesdropping? And what other charges could the feds pile on?

ESPN is reporting that the NOS organization and general manager are being investigated for wiretapping opponents' locker rooms. FBI is now involved. What is the formal criminal charge called for electronic eavesdropping? And what other charges could the feds pile on?
Looks like Mickey Loomis and the NFL's New Orleans Saints having some problems. Here is a link to the Electronic Frontier Foundation's page on Federal Wiretapping Laws:
CRIMES:
18 USC, PART I, CHAPTER 119 - WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERCEPTION AND INTERCEPTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
18 USC, PART I, CHAPTER 121 - STORED WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSACTIONAL RECORDS ACCESS (incl. 18 USC 2701-2711)
CRIMINAL PROCEDURE:
18 USC, PART II, CHAPTER 205 - SEARCHES AND SEIZURES (mobile wiretapping)
18 USC, PART II, CHAPTER 206 - PEN REGISTERS AND TRAP AND TRACE DEVICES
TELEGRAPHS, TELEPHONES, AND RADIOTELEGRAMS
47 USC, CHAPTER 9 - INTERCEPTION OF DIGITAL AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS

At this point it's difficult to say whether there are also state laws which Loomis could be charged with violating, but one wonders whether the state would want to probe a local business important to the state when the Federal government is already doing their own investigation and potential prosecution.

In unrelated but related news I think that linebacker Jonathan Vilma, fellow Saint defensive end Will Smith, current Browns linebacker Scott Fujita and current Packers DE Anthony Hargrove are all being suspended as a result of the bounty investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back