Never got keys! Breaking the Lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansanders

Hello, I am a newcomer and am very well pleased to see that there is a site for people with legal inquires and skilled legal experts who are willing to help. Wow, this is priceless. Thank you in advance

So here is my dilema. I am currently living in Michigan. I planned to relocate my family to ILL due to an excellent job opportunities for myself and my husband. The job in ILL started in November; my husbands in December. Anyway we planned on moving this month on the 7th. We found a beautiful home; loved it; sent the non-refundable "holding" deposit and stupidly "signed" a lease via email (never met the landlords in person - only realtor) Long story short; job got pushed back and we informed the landlords that we wouldnt be relocating until january or February so we have to back out. They said fine. Understand. Today I recieved an email stating that we have to pay them rent until they find a new leasee!?? Although, we never moved in to the property or even got keys. Also, the "lease" that they signed and scanned and sent to me wasnt the final lease. They stated in email that we would sign the official one when we move/ get the keys. Now they are saying that we are still responsible due to this clause that was in the "lease": "In the event that the Residents choose to vacate the Unit prior to October 31, 2008, Residents will be held responsible for all monthly lease payments until another Lessee begins occupying the unit, or the contract period expires, whichever is earlier." Have we really "vacated" the premises that we never had possesion of? Please advise! Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back