Neighbours who call the cops and lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherHusband

Jurisdiction
Quebec
Hi!

Given the pandemic, my wife, I and our infant son have been cooped up for a little over a year.

Like all couples, my wife and I argue, which at times can escalate to a fight. Both my wife and I can admitedly get pretty heated and loud at times, but we've decided that when things get heated to take a step back and seperate until we can cool off and discuss the issues in a more civil manner.

The pandemic doesn't make it easy.. we are in each others faces for most of the day so arguments are bound to happen. We have an infant son and we have a management system for these arguments/fights like I've mentioned above to make for his sake, we want to make sure there is as much love in our home as possible.

I am working from home, I consider myself to be a good husband and father who provides for not only needs, but wants as well. I drink socially but never too much, I don't smoke and I don't do drugs and the same can be said for my wife. Once we've calmed down after a fight or argument we are able to laugh off the banality that was our fight. My wife and I love each other and we love our child and our arguments never lead us to think otherwise.

We have neighbours who call the police far too often. Not just for me or my wife but for other people and families who live in our building as well. We find out afterwards that the things that are being told to the police are flat out lies. I don't strike or hit my wife or my son and I would never do anything that would harm them.. but its gotten to a point where we can't discuss what needs to be discussed without the police showing up at our door. The other day the police were called about a fight and I wasn't even at home. There was no argument and nothing had happened. The police said thatwhoever called said I was "aggressive" and it sounded like I had struck my wife. And my wife told them that it was a lie.

We know the neighbour who is doing this to us. We have caught them calling the police on other neighbours and making false claims of child abuse.
We also have no idea why they are doing this to us, other than a very minor discussion over a parking spot that was resolved, in my opinion in a civil manner and it should have ended right there..

I am not sure if this meant to be passive aggressive or if these people enjoy the drama of seeing the police at their neigbours door. I also don't really care, my wife and I both want it to stop. We understand that calling the police is not a civil liability otherwise people would not call them when they are actually needed. But we fear about what the next lie will be and how it will affect our family, who like everyone else is just trying to make it through these crazy times.

is there any legal recourse or advice that would help get them to stop lying about us to the police?

Sorry, but there's no way to successfully beat lunatic neighbors, short of moving.

It's not all their fault. You admit that your disagreements escalate to arguments that escalate to loud screaming matches which obviously disturb the neighbors. Can't say as I blame them for calling the police, especially if this happens often.

You both need anger management counseling so you can both learn how to disagree peacefully.

Meanwhile I suggest you set up a camera (with audio) in the area where your arguments happen so you can figure out where you both go wrong when they start to escalate.

Maybe I am not painting the picture of just how agregious these lies are correctly. Thanks for the marital advice, but we've gotten, absorbed and applied several practices pertaining to conflict management. I didn't write here looking for marital counseling but for legal advice. We believe this is happening now for other reasons. At this point even though we keep noise at a minimum, for a year we don't scream at all.. if things start to get heated we take time to collect ourselves. Until we are able to resolve the issue, make compromises etc.

The police are being called now for no reason. If that's the case what is our recourse?

(Legal Advice Only Please, from a lawyer)

I am not sure if you actually read my message but, They called on us when I was away for two days. I wasn't even home. And the information the police is given is absolutely false.

Maybe I am not painting the picture of just how agregious these lies are correctly. Thanks for the marital advice, but we've gotten, absorbed and applied several practices pertaining to conflict management. I didn't write here looking for marital counseling but for legal advice. We believe this is happening now for other reasons. At this point even though we keep noise at a minimum, for a year we don't scream at all.. if things start to get heated we take time to collect ourselves. Until we are able to resolve the issue, make compromises etc.

The police are being called now for no reason. If that's the case what is our recourse?

(Legal Advice Only Please, from a lawyer)

I am not sure if you actually read my message but, They called on us when I was away for two days. I wasn't even home. And the information the police is given is absolutely false.
No one here will give you "legal advice"...you may be offered guidance or direction. This is mainly a United States site and none of the attorney VOLUNTEERS are in Canada.

If you want legal advice from an attorney, consult with one in Quebec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back