Neighbor will not stop working on my private road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUNTER2317

I have a private dirt road with a 30 ft. non-exclusive ingress/egress easement on one side of my property. A person that lives down the road is dragging this road with a tractor and box blade. The problem is he is dragging dirt from the side of the road which is blocking ditches in one area causing erosion problems. I dig drainage channels to the ditch to direct the flow of water on the road and he destroys them everytime he drags it. I put in wooden posts and he dragged them up. The erosion problem is starting to get serious. There was a 2 ft deep rut in one area. He drags sand into, but it washes out everytime it rains. I am trying to do a permanent solution, but he keeps destroying my work. Me and other neighbors have asked him to leave the sides of the road alone, but he ignores us. Finally I told him not to drag my section of road at all. He says since there is an easement, I don't have control over the road even though it is on my property. I'm fairly certain that only applies to travel on the road.
All his work is mainly cosmetic, he's smoothing out shallow ruts and bumps, so it's not essential maintenance. I would like to put a dump truck load of red clay on the road to fix the erosion problems once and for all, but do not want the dirt dragged a half mile down the road. Do I have a legal right to stop work on my section of road? What options do I have if so?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back