Neighbor semi-accusing me of hitting their parked car multiple times

breeg

Jurisdiction
California
As I walked into my apartment complex's office today, the manager stopped me and stated that she wanted to speak with me. She then proceeded to tell me that the guy in the assigned parking spot next to me says I hit his car multiple times, with the first incident being in December. The most recent accusation happened last month where he has since moved parking spaces. This was a huge surprise to me since nobody had talked to me about anything regarding this issue. She said she asked him if he wanted to speak with me and he said no, but he did want her to check the cameras which she told him she didn't have time for. The security cameras also do not go back far enough to look at December's footage. She said he took pictures which show white paint on his car (I have a white car). I let her know that if he comes in again to tell him he can come talk to me if he wishes, but I never hit his car. Never even came close to hitting it. Apparently he's saying I caused so much damage that he's going to make a claim. I just find it odd that he never wanted to talk to me about it since he was so sure I caused the damage. I never would have known about it if I hadn't walked into the office today. So my question is... what do I do now? Wait until his insurance contacts me? He can't possibly prove that it was my car since I never hit him in the first place. Can he try to sue if I do not admit fault? I'm a 21 year old college student so i've never been in this situation before nor do I have the means to pay for anything I 100% am not at fault for. Any advice would be helpful!

You are under no obligation to answer questions from anyone, including the police or FBI.

This video is most instructive about why you shouldn't answer questions:

Say nothing, admit to nothing, stand your ground, and remain silent.

The police, the owner of the car can accuse you of anything.

That's easy.

What's harder is proving those allegations in a court of law, especially if you say NOTHING, while doing your best Mona Lisa beguiling smile!

monalisa.jpg

Paint is hardly evidence when that's all there is. There are no witnesses and the vehicle was parked and unoccupied. There is really nothing to go on here.

I wouldn't worry about it. See if maybe your apartment complex manager can change your assigned parking spot.

Agreed. Disregard all of this. You will never hear anything more about it.
If it has already happened multiple times over the last few months and no action was taken then it seems unlikely anything will ever be done, but is doomed to fail if initiated.

Back