Neighbor is a COP and ran my plates for NO reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamyers

I have a new neighbor who is a Police Officer. I live a couple houses down. I work from home in my Garage. I hand make custom high end Knife Sheaths (NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT STARTING A BUSINESS AT HOME IN MY GARAGE, LOOK AT ALL THE BIG COMPANIES THAT ACTUALLY DID START IN A GARAGE). I opened my garage door for a while to work and to enjoy the fresh air. After a while I see strangers walk by and solicitors "sneak" up behind me with my back turned. I have my entire business with VERY expensive knives and custom made knives and Knives my customers mail to me for a custom sheath. I start to think about it and decide, I BETTER START KEEPING THE GARAGE DOOR CLOSED!!! Before I get ROBBED! I have THOUSANDS of dollars of knives situated on my wall in a certain way and organized for easy work for me. Anyhow, I do see the "new" neighbor walk by my house and he has looked to see what I am up to. I would love to meet new neighbors and make them feel welcome, BUT, they are kinda rude! My wife even walked down to say "HI" and his response was with his back turned and talking about " prepapring for his detective work!! and that was the extent of the "welcome hello...LOL... My wife thought, WOW! what a JERK! Won't even small talk to to get to know eachother or even exchange names. One day an old lady that I know well came to my house and asked if I could do a favor for her and I said YES! Absolutely! Well, I drive down to her house with my trailer to move her lawn mower and I see him outside doing "something" in the trunk of his police car. I am standing right next door in plain sight looking at him with a smile. NO RESPONSE, but a serious "business" face. He did look at me and thats it and I even waved! Well one day I was doing work in my garage, making a lot of shop noise in the middle of the day and all of a sudden his WIFE runs down the street and leans over to get a look at my plate number and runs back home! I found this out because my dog was barking his head off, so I go to see what the deal is with him, and sure enough, I caught her getting plates and taking off like a bolt of lightning back home trying not to get caught! I was playing with my garage door that day trying to keep it low so strangers dont get any ideas of breaking in my home. Plus I was adjusting my "slack" on my garage door opener chain and trying to fix the seals on my doors since it was getting cold out. I don't feel like working in a cold garage, so I have every right to do maintainance and open my door partially if I want to, Its my HOUSE! Its no mystery, I have seen him "rubber necking" to see in my garage. There is nothing obvious and knives are completely legal. Why did he think I was doing something wrong? There are a lot of neighbors that work at home. And he had LOTS of chances to get to know us and even come over to see what I do. In Fact a LOT of my customers ARE Police and Military since they want me to custom make tactical sheaths for their knives. My truck is in my driveway all the time on my property, NOT the city, I do not need to leave very much since my "drive to work is to walk in the garage", its a great way to save on fuel costs!..LOL. I did nothing but make sheaths. I am a fully registered real LLC business. I play with my kids in the front yard, I ride my bike and walk with my family and am at peace and friendly with everyone around me, We have cook overs and I invite neighbors over for BBQ and me and the guys go to the garage (converted into shop) to check out my creations. 99% of my knives are fancy heirlooms or very nice camp or hunting knives. In indiana there are NO laws that prohibit what I do. Are there cops that do that? do they check law abiding people and to checks on them to know who they are even their private lives??? I did not confront him, but after a few days I did call the police to ask about this and they told me and encouraged me filing harassment but I am not the type of guy that is looking to make someones life miserable, even THEY said that was kinda crappy to not try to get to know your neighbor, but instead checking plates, thats kinda creepy and scary, and makes me feel like I am under control and hes got power to do whatever! Is he on a power trip or thinks he can do whatever he wants? Is what he did ethical even when we had tons of opportunity to just meet and shake hands?? Are there any civil actions or even criminal actions I can look into??? Not that I want to get him in trouble but just in case it happens again or to anyone else. He even walked by my house with a local officer stating "thats the house" ( I can hear EVERYTHING through my garage doors, plus my dog is a great watch dog). Its been weeks since that happened and no one has come to my door to ask me any questions. But I do not want to be a victim of abuse of power. I hear of tooooo damn many people being victimized and their rights walked all over and feel like they are under martial law with stritct rules to live by. I am at the point that I dont even want to be outside anymore. I hear some bad police will lie and do anything to make your life difficult just becuase they can. I will not go to their house or their property, I even tell my 5 yearold daughter who I am trying to teach how to ride her bike not to enter their driveway, just to turn around. We should not live like this. I would rather live next to a thug! And thats BAD for me to even think that. Ever since I have been allll over youtube and I was SHOCKED by the abuse of power on people. What happen to just keeping the peace??? Its seems more like paramilitary police!

Soooo ... how do you know he used any state or agency resources to run your license plates or other information for personal reasons? All you mentioned was some behavior that may or may not have been rude, but nothing that leaps out as unlawful. It is not unlawful to look at your license plates or even ask about your name. It is likely unlawful for him to access state records (DMV, criminal, etc.) using official channels if he did so solely for personal reasons.

Though, it's possible I missed something ... paragraphs and coherent sentences would certainly help in trying to understand what was going on.

In short, if you have some proof that he accessed a government database or computer system for non-official purposes, you can report it to his agency and even to the state police (or whoever manages and operates your state's computer networks - assuming he accessed a state network of some kind).

well, I don't know for sure. But what I saw is what I saw. And sorry for not sounding clear. I just feel like I am being judged because I do not work outside my home and I make a lot of shop noise, OR maybe they are trying to figure out what I do??. I Don't know and your right about that. But if there are people like that to "get to know" people they are going to live by, then thats wrong. Anyway, Thank you for the resources and maybe this spring when everyone is getting outside, me and my family might try to get to know them again. I guess some people just don't like to be bothered and I understand that.

Do you have a legal question?
If not, that's okay, as we don't deny others their opportunity to rant.
By the way, you never said howdy neighbors.

I'll say it, howdy neighbor.
How's your day going, pal?
I'm having a great morning, neighbor.
I hope you are having such a morning, too, buddy.

You just started ranting.
That could explain why you think others are unfriendly.
You might be the unapproachable one, buddy?

All you have done so far is rant the neighbor does not like you and make unsubstantiated accusations against him, that, based on your company could be easily entered as evidence of defamation toward him.

did anyone read???

Didi anyone read anything????? We did try to say hello, they keep to themselves. My wife is a runner so she is always running past their house. SHE STOPPED TO INTRODUCE herself, and ONLY TO GET BLOWN OFF like he was being bothered!! He did not even give HIS NAME! My Wife DID. My wife even told him its nice to have a police officer on our street. I waved to initiate and I get no genuine response. I asked a couple of my neighbors if they got to meet them and they said they keep to themselves(NOT TO SPREAD RUMORS), and I left it at that. I like to know who my neighbors are. Badge or no badge we are all human and prone to do crazy stupid things. You see it in the papers damn near everyday. THE ONLY THING THAT I AM UPSET ABOUT IS THE FACT THAT HIS WIFE WRITES DOWN MY PLATE NUMBER AND RUNS BACK HOME IN A HURRY! My question is WHY??????????????? Isn't there a privacy act in place?? Could it be another grumpy neighbor they met first that do not like my family and is committing defamation towards me? The person that took my plate number is the WIFE of the officer. My wife wanted to march down there and ask them if there is anything wrong or if there is something she could help them with or if they lost something behind my truck. There are a couple of grumpy old neighbors that don't like my dog barking at them as they walk past my house, and the dog is in the house when he is barking. In fact one of the grumpy neighbor that yells at my dog. Days later that same man walks to the fence of my backyard. I stepped outside and he was suprised to see me looking at him, he says hi and walks away. My wife had a Golden retriever that was poisoned by a neighbor and he got to take a ride to jail. I told my wife its time to move. For 13 years was nothing but peace, chatting with neighbors and just living. In the last 2 years we had new neighbors move in. We approached them and now we are always saying hi, having camp fires, Dads and Kids setting up tents and camping out over night in my backyard , BBq cookouts, ect...Its the unusual things I metioned that gets me, and yes, to me that is something that will rub a person the wrong way.

Then let me ask you this. What do I do? I am not going to force friendship. I'm not the type to get people in trouble. I will not "tresspass" on his property. But at least dont have the wife run away with my plate number. If anyone is making accusations, its towards me. Its not normal running behind my truck getting info. I know its public but do you go running down the street writing plate numbers, or is it??? Maybe its all the big knives I have in the garage..lol...Who knows...But its my business, its what I am building and thats what I make a living at. Also I NEVER said he or she does not like me.

All you have done so far is rant the neighbor does not like you and make unsubstantiated accusations against him, that, based on your company could be easily entered as evidence of defamation toward him.

She may have written down her grocery list.
Whatever she wrote that's her business.

I suggest you keep your distance from both of those people.

If you believe anyone is breaking the law, contact your local police or sheriff.

Thanks, I just hope you can understand how I feel. I check the sex registry in my neighborhood, I am leary of "solicitors" and my neighbor (now great friends) who is in the Army has a wife and 2 very young kids we help watch, while he is gone. My neighbor got broke into while they were home asleep and thank GOD nothing happen to them (that's why we bought a dog), THEN my neighbor across the street got broke into and had only her purse stolen. And two years ago 2 teens placed and explosive in my neighbors mailbox and it could have killed someone! I don't know how they did it but it blew up the mailbox to pieces. It was powerful. I have sketchy "solicitors" that ask if we have a home alarm every once in a while, and my answer is YES! and my backup alarm comes with sharp teeth!..LOL. AND to top it off I was walking with my 10 year old daughter, she decided to head home, well, three grown men stopped and started talking to her asking her how she was doing. Luckily she was smart enough to take off and yell DAD!!!! and the guys bolted in their car! I got in my truck and I was after them because my daughter told me what they were in. My wife called the police, nothing came of it. I understand things can happen anywhere at anytime. I guess thats why I am concerned. I love my Family and my home and I will give my life for them. I have a 10 year old daughter and a 6 year old daughter that I worry about. As a home owner a family man and someone struggling to get my Kydex business off the ground in my garage and being paranoid about my life saving in a garage, I have just about every right to be very protective and aware of whats going on around me. I did call the police two days after the insistent and they wanted me to file harassment over the phone. I declined because I think it wasn't enough to do so and also I thought the whole thing was just plain stupid. I just called to make sure I was protected and if this constituted a future call if it continued. Like I said I don't want to get people in trouble and I am a very easy going and forgiving guy. I realized that we are all people and we all have our quirks and I can deal with that. I am going to spend a lot of time outside when the weather warms up with the family and if I see them out in the yard I will go down with my wife and kids and hopefully that will ease things up. The funny thing is when I was growing up one of my best friends today was the result of him bullying my little brother, he apologized and I forgave him and I thought why not get to know each other...lol.. Hopefully we can be a community of friendly neighbors that work together and help protect each others kids when needed. My dad grew up in a small farm town in the panhandle of Texas just north of Abilene and he use to tell me he could be out and about all day and knew everyone in town and the people driving down the road would always pull over to the side and wave you by. I thought this a completely different world from where I'm from! southern hospitality, something we Yanks are lacking I guess. I was raised by a very traditional Asian mother and a Texan that I wanted to model after. I think I will look into moving out of the city. It will be good for the lungs and sanity. City life and cramped living can be very unpredictable. Sorry for the rant, this was a first for me. I guess I am the stupid one and need to realize this is a world that won't change. Matthews Chapter 7 is a good read and I try.. Thank you for the info, for letting me rant, vent, whatever you want to call it. And sorry to the people that I might have upset because of my venting.

I found this and found it interesting.

10-11-2004, 05:05 PM #1
Thanks
Running license plates without cause?
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not to post this or not.

I called the police the other night to report that someone had tried to break into my car. (We have had a lot of these incidents in the neighborhood lately and since the dome light was still on, I was reasonably sure that the person still had to be in the general area.) The police showed up 25 minutes later. I asked him why it took so long for the cops to get to my house. He then went into a 10 minute sermon on the proper way to address him and that would be as a "police officer".

After I finally told him that it's probably too late to catch this habitual theif anyway, the officer proceeded to run the plates of both of my cars that were sitting in my driveway. He was looking for to see if my plates were valid. I was offended because first of all *I* was the victim. Second of all, the cars were on *MY* property. Of course they were valid..but that's not the point. I think that the officer was harassing me..or on a fishing expedition to see if he can ticket *me* for anything since I he had a problem with me referring to him as a "cop" instead of a "police officer".

Is it legal for the officer to run plates on private property without cause?

Thanks for any responses.

Free Legal Case Review

The law only prohibits an officer to use government telecommunications systems or records for personal business. Anything that smacks of official business is going to be lawful unless it can be definitively shown to be otherwise. I can drive down the street and run the license plates of every car I see (even if in a driveway or on blocks in the yard) if I want to. In fact, some agencies have automated license plate readers on some of their vehicles that do just that!

While there are officers that have a chip on their shoulder, they are among the few. And, for the most part, I bet you will find they became cops when they were young (probably under 24) and, as such, their emotional and psychological development was in some ways adversely impacted by their position as an officer. One day I may do a research paper on the correlation between start age and career complaints ... if I ever get the time and the inclination.

Honestly, you goof on so many irrelevant tangents I'm not sure what you really are looking for here. You have a neighbor who prefers to keep to himself, which is totally legal. Not everyone wants to be bothered when at home and that probably goes double for those in law enforcement and other safety sensitive jobs. His wife walked up to the back of your car which was in view of anyone who happened by and then left quickly. You have no knowledge of what if anything she wrote or what was done with that info. Yet you seem to think she must have shared it inappropriately with her husband ho then for unknown reasons ran it through some kind of database. But you have no evidence of this. Nothing bad has happened as a result of this "maybe" event. The rest of your posts are even less relevant. For all you know the wife liked your car and wanted to see what make and model it was. Anything else just screams "conspiracy theory".

But don't you see that a LITTLe unusual???

If what you say is whats going on then you must not care about your home and family and especially REPUTATION and must not have robbers break in your home and strangers try to talk to your 10 year old little girl. I run an unusual business in my garage. I do not build bird houses, I do not mow laws, and I am definitly not talented enough to start another Microsoft! I am a craftsman and an artist. I do not have a lot of money and I am working VERY hard and some VERY LONG hours. I worry about taking the plunge, considering I dumped a large portion of my savings in my garage. I make Custom Kydex Knife Sheaths. And I am very good at it. I also make custom primitive traditional historical Archery equipment, Ancient Atlatal and knives( A big portion of my customers are Military enlisted infantry, Police, Outdoor adventurers, and collectors and the likes, and made some good friends with a handful of special forces that like to have their tactical setup "their way". and I work a couple hours in the shop some days and somedays I am out there till the middle of the night. Business is random and scary for me, since I am only a year in. I have to struggle to put food on the table for my kids. I encourage my kids everyday to get a good education and to work hard, and do not end up like me, struggling. I live in a neighborhood for the most part friendly. My neighbor (who I over heard talking about me) say "Why is he so private and the rest was rambling on and on Thats when a lady decided to "do her grocery list" squatting down behind my truck! (so if you say some people like to be private or not bothered, then its legal like you say) Well if you go back and research what I wrote (and its not even everything! there is more) Like I said, we had a lot of break-ins and lethal mailbox explosions and """"""SOLICITORS""""" who walk up to my garage WITH MY DOOR OPEN ask me if I am "interested" in a "home alarm"...I smell scam or setup, and of course I ask for a business card and a valid ID.. I know the scams. I have a short stint in military and special forces training. I learned to be AWARE and ID suspicious activities. That person was not bent over staring at my plate at eye level in close proximity to "write down her grocery list" I have a garage full of tactical knives worth in the Thousands of dollars, some custom and worth more! I am responsible for all my customers expensive knives that I keep in my garage and if one is stolen then I take a MAJOR hit. Even the primitive bows I can spend two years tuning and tillering the limbs to get it right. I have a project recreating the Ancient Holmegaard bow, the oldest bow in exisitance. This bow is priceless since I am creating it down to the very details. This bow will be shown. So I hope you understand that what I do for a living is unique, its a passion and an art. All I need is gossip and rumors to make my passion get in the wrong hands and the wrong image of me (I believe someone defamation of character). The process of Kydex sheaths is by heating in the oven to make soft. And with the weather cool I have to have to keep the garage warm or the kydex will harden too fast (thats the reason why I close the garage plus to keep prying eyes from looking at my knives) I have a custom press I made so I can place the knife and the kydex together to get a mold. It creates a smell (and maybe that could be another reason), and I try to vent out the front of my garage. So when I overheard "why is he so private " (EVEN THOUGH I RIDE MY BIKE AND GO FOR WALKS WITH MY KIDS AND SOCIALIZE WITH MY NEIGHBORS) Its an issue to her, I am not private, I just dont want to open my garage to the world to see and I go on vacation ONLY to come home and my business was stolen. If there is any defamation of character then I am the victim. Like I said I have a neighbor who is ARMY active and he is a serious tactical gear guy, He comes over unannounced and we talk gear and he likes looking at my new creations. If you need to look me up I am on ebay under (ARMORsheathsLLC), I have a social network of bushcrafters and military that understand this life style. I just don't want to have to deal with issues and go through HELL all because someone thinks I am a knife crazy person OR something else. This neighborhood I realize is probably not the most "ideal" place to have this business, but we all have to start somewhere. After all the drama, I started to open my garage for the world to see, and I constantly look over my shoulder for strangers staring in my garage, If someone I DO NOT KNOW trys to walk up to my garage, I make a fast B-line to the side walk. I am going to just have to invest in an alarm and mirrored windows with Bars until I can get out of this neighborhood. This all started since I left my job of over 20 years to pursue my passion of the outdoors. I do don't eaves drop on people but my garage doors are really easy to hear everything, they were speaking loudly . So there is a little more info. I will be installing a security system to my house. If anyone was being judged it was me. I do not want to live in this neighborhood with bad feelings, I want it resolved and keep nosy people out of my business and make false allocations about me. Its the nosy ones that talk and Gossip. I hope the plate thing was not for personal reasons. I worry enough as it is when I do leave the house all day! Go ahead and and and say all I do is rant for those of you that don't care about it. And thank you to those that gave me some good info and resources.

E=ElleMD;214882]Honestly, you goof on so many irrelevant tangents I'm not sure what you really are looking for here. You have a neighbor who prefers to keep to himself, which is totally legal. Not everyone wants to be bothered when at home and that probably goes double for those in law enforcement and other safety sensitive jobs. His wife walked up to the back of your car which was in view of anyone who happened by and then left quickly. You have no knowledge of what if anything she wrote or what was done with that info. Yet you seem to think she must have shared it inappropriately with her husband ho then for unknown reasons ran it through some kind of database. But you have no evidence of this. Nothing bad has happened as a result of this "maybe" event. The rest of your posts are even less relevant. For all you know the wife liked your car and wanted to see what make and model it was. Anything else just screams "conspiracy theory".[/QUOTE]

If what you say is whats going on then you must not care about your home and family and especially REPUTATION and must not have robbers break in your home and strangers try to talk to your 10 year old little girl. I run an unusual business in my garage. I do not build bird houses, I do not mow laws, and I am definitly not talented enough to start another Microsoft! I am a craftsman and an artist. I do not have a lot of money and I am working VERY hard and some VERY LONG hours. I worry about taking the plunge, considering I dumped a large portion of my savings in my garage. I make Custom Kydex Knife Sheaths. And I am very good at it. I also make custom primitive traditional historical Archery equipment, Ancient Atlatal and knives( A big portion of my customers are Military enlisted infantry, Police, Outdoor adventurers, and collectors and the likes, and made some good friends with a handful of special forces that like to have their tactical setup "their way". and I work a couple hours in the shop some days and somedays I am out there till the middle of the night. Business is random and scary for me, since I am only a year in. I have to struggle to put food on the table for my kids. I encourage my kids everyday to get a good education and to work hard, and do not end up like me, struggling. I live in a neighborhood for the most part friendly. My neighbor (who I over heard talking about me) say "Why is he so private and the rest was rambling on and on Thats when a lady decided to "do her grocery list" squatting down behind my truck! (so if you say some people like to be private or not bothered, then its legal like you say) Well if you go back and research what I wrote (and its not even everything! there is more) Like I said, we had a lot of break-ins and lethal mailbox explosions and """"""SOLICITORS""""" who walk up to my garage WITH MY DOOR OPEN ask me if I am "interested" in a "home alarm"...I smell scam or setup, and of course I ask for a business card and a valid ID.. I know the scams. I have a short stint in military and special forces training. I learned to be AWARE and ID suspicious activities. That person was not bent over staring at my plate at eye level in close proximity to "write down her grocery list" I have a garage full of tactical knives worth in the Thousands of dollars, some custom and worth more! I am responsible for all my customers expensive knives that I keep in my garage and if one is stolen then I take a MAJOR hit. Even the primitive bows I can spend two years tuning and tillering the limbs to get it right. I have a project recreating the Ancient Holmegaard bow, the oldest bow in exisitance. This bow is priceless since I am creating it down to the very details. This bow will be shown. So I hope you understand that what I do for a living is unique, its a passion and an art. All I need is gossip and rumors to make my passion get in the wrong hands and the wrong image of me (I believe someone defamation of character). The process of Kydex sheaths is by heating in the oven to make soft. And with the weather cool I have to have to keep the garage warm or the kydex will harden too fast (thats the reason why I close the garage plus to keep prying eyes from looking at my knives) I have a custom press I made so I can place the knife and the kydex together to get a mold. It creates a smell (and maybe that could be another reason), and I try to vent out the front of my garage. So when I overheard "why is he so private " (EVEN THOUGH I RIDE MY BIKE AND GO FOR WALKS WITH MY KIDS AND SOCIALIZE WITH MY NEIGHBORS) Its an issue to her, I am not private, I just dont want to open my garage to the world to see and I go on vacation ONLY to come home and my business was stolen. If there is any defamation of character then I am the victim. Like I said I have a neighbor who is ARMY active and he is a serious tactical gear guy, He comes over unannounced and we talk gear and he likes looking at my new creations. If you need to look me up I am on ebay under (ARMORsheathsLLC), I have a social network of bushcrafters and military that understand this life style. I just don't want to have to deal with issues and go through HELL all because someone thinks I am a knife crazy person OR something else. This neighborhood I realize is probably not the most "ideal" place to have this business, but we all have to start somewhere. After all the drama, I started to open my garage for the world to see, and I constantly look over my shoulder for strangers staring in my garage, If someone I DO NOT KNOW trys to walk up to my garage, I make a fast B-line to the side walk. I am going to just have to invest in an alarm and mirrored windows with Bars until I can get out of this neighborhood. This all started since I left my job of over 20 years to pursue my passion of the outdoors. I do don't eaves drop on people but my garage doors are really easy to hear everything, they were speaking loudly . So there is a little more info. I will be installing a security system to my house. If anyone was being judged it was me. I do not want to live in this neighborhood with bad feelings, I want it resolved and keep nosy people out of my business and make false allocations about me. Its the nosy ones that talk and Gossip. I hope the plate thing was not for personal reasons. I worry enough as it is when I do leave the house all day! Go ahead and and and say all I do is rant for those of you that don't care about it. And thank you to those that gave me some good info and resources.

I get it. It took me awhile, but I suddenly get it.

You put your resources at risk by opening a BUSINESS, a MANUFACTURING BUSINESS in a neighborhood likely zoned as RESIDENTIAL.

There are those who also reside in that neighborhood and have invested their resources in BUYING a home there, too!
You're wise to be concerned about people seeing in plain sight your "wares".
Long before I earned my law degree, I spent four years in the jungles of 'Nam.
Yeah, I know a few things about knives and other weaponry.
I have nothing against those who make, collect, or even use weaponry lawfully.
I have nothing against you.
I don't know you, and I'll never know you.

Here's your biggest problem, besides a burglar or door to door scammer, someone has or probably will report you to your local zoning or building commission.
Had you not opened the kimono and displayed your fine craftsmanship for any and all to see, you'd only have burglars and scammers to consider.

I do wish you well, sir.
You might wish to look into seeking a zoning variance, so as to continue turning out that fine merchandise.
That way you cut any complaints off at the pass.

I get it. It took me awhile, but I suddenly get it.

You put your resources at risk by opening a BUSINESS, a MANUFACTURING BUSINESS in a neighborhood likely zoned as RESIDENTIAL.

There are those who also reside in that neighborhood and have invested their resources in BUYING a home there, too!
You're wise to be concerned about people seeing in plain sight your "wares".
Long before I earned my law degree, I spent four years in the jungles of 'Nam.
Yeah, I know a few things about knives and other weaponry.
I have nothing against those who make, collect, or even use weaponry lawfully.
I have nothing against you.
I don't know you, and I'll never know you.

Here's your biggest problem, besides a burglar or door to door scammer, someone has or probably will report you to your local zoning or building commission.
Had you not opened the kimono and displayed your fine craftsmanship for any and all to see, you'd only have burglars and scammers to consider.

I do wish you well, sir.
You might wish to look into seeking a zoning variance, so as to continue turning out that fine merchandise.
That way you cut any complaints off at the pass.

Thanks Army Judge! You made me feel like I got someone on my side, along with all my other patriot friends that serve and protect and risk lives! And I thank you.We kinda have the same military life expierence, Not the NAM part and I thank you for that. My Father was a United States Marine that served in WWII. He was part of the 6th Marines! He was one of the brave heros that earned the Presidential Unit Citation Award in action in Okinawa! I always wanted to be a Marine just like my Dad since I was a little Boy, Because my Dad was a Hero and Proud to say my dad did something great for this country. I love my country, I am a Patriot and I am a full supporter of the ideas of our founding fathers, the constitution. My Army Neighbor was surprised with a custom fully loaded Kydex sheath with all the bells and whistles for Veterans day and also because I respect him as a man. I get along with him well and we show proper edicts towards others. As for the "person that likes to "write her grocery list " while looking at my plates. Its easy to tell where a persons eyes are focused, while in the perfect body position and distance from the center of the bumper, what she was doing, I'm Not an idiot here. I understand reconnaissance and collecting intel. I have an awesome smart phone with great picture taking abilities, Just letting you know. I do not record conversations since we are a one party consent state and I was not invited in that conversation about me. But if someone talks loud enough its hard to avoid not hearing. I like to do things for my neighbors. I even snow plow their drive if they are buried in snow. And I would have given him a kydex gift just because of the line of work he does as a token of appreciation, . I asked my kids tonight if they would like to have some chickens and they screamed YES! I told them it would be nice to move out to the country. I realize I am not a city person and I do not like the gossip that comes with cramped living. Oh by the way, I do have a 3/4 acre zoned C3C commercial. Its was given to me by my Aunt to build my American dream on it. The only issue is money. I had no issues with my police customers working out of my home. They are just happy that I give them what they need and they seem to be ok with it,

It's not illegal for him to run your plates. The police in INDIANA have cars set up that drive thru parking lots all day scanning license plates. I seriously doubt that the police dept that you called said "File Harassment" against this officer. Why? Because that isn't harassment. Man up...

Court Ruling...
What: A Michigan man who was arrested after a police officer checked his license plate against a computer database tried to suppress that evidence on privacy grounds.

When: The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Sept. 5.

Outcome: Defendant loses when appeals court rules that Americans have no Fourth Amendment protection against computer checks--even extensive ones--of their license-plate numbers.

As you can tell from above...... it's not illegal to run your plates.

Here's another example out of Indiana... BTW I also live in Indiana (LPR) = License Plate Readers

Fox 59 WXIN Indianapolis

October 26, 2011 · .

Indiana State Police are using License Plate Readers (LPR) to track unlicensed drivers. The device will track habitual traffic violators or those driving with revoked licenses, who police consider to be dangerous on the roadways. The goal of the LPR system is to help prevent accidents similar to the one that killed a construction flagger in early October. The man who hit the worker had a suspended license at the time.

Using paragraphs would help.

If you are concerned about this business, move it out of your home, or into the basement. Buy a home security system. Sure we all wish we lived in Mayberry but we don't. It doesn't matter how honorable this business or what your father may have done, your only options are to make it less accessible to burglars and thieves and to make sure it is operating legally in your home.

None of this has anything to do with unsocial neighbors or a police officer's wife writing down your license plate number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back