Neighbor harassing me by calling police and animal control.

MikeKallaus

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Neighbor doesn't like me at all, she regularly calls the police for things like when I mowed I got grass clippings on her car. The last incident is that she called animal control stating that my dog was barking when she was trying to sleep. My dog goes out a few times a day and not for very long at any time. If my dog is barking then someone or something was walking by. I have a summons to appear on the dog matter and want to know my options. My neighbor says I'm a racist, I'm white and she is African American. My neighbor on the other side is also African American and we get along great. What is my best defense on this, I have cameras that should be able to show how long my dog is out and I my other neighbor will give a statement that my dog is seldom out and that they hear my dog. Can I establish a pattern of harassment via previous police calls or would that even make a difference. Also if the previous calls would help how would I get copies of them

Your matter is regarding the barking dog. Address that and ONLY that when you appear.
Normally you would not get a summons unless an officer witnessed the barking and was unable to contact you. Find out the language of whatever ordinance you have been cited for and prepare an argument based on that language.
Nobody will care about any of the rest of your neighbor problem so don't bring it up.

Back