Neighbor calls the police a lot with false accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindycbarkley3

My roommates and I live in a cul-de-sac and have lived in it since September 2013 and our neighbor lives right next to us and she has called the police on us 4 times in the past 2 months.
The first time said our music was too loud because she can hear it from her house and this was the first weekend of the New Year around 11:45pm.
The second time, she said that our dogs were barking at 3:00am earlier this month and that she needed to sleep without them barking too much.
The third time, was I had music up when I was mopping my floors and cleaning which was about a week ago
The fourth and currently most recent time, which happened this morning and it was that she found BB gun pelts in her backyard and she started yelling and saying we were going to hurt or kill her shih tzus because of the BB gun pelts. Since she was yelling I was not going to try to keep talking to her, my roommate said we will just call the police I told her why I am sure she is going to already. A few minutes later we heard her turn on music and up to the maximum and after about 5 minutes she turned it off then approximately 25 minutes later we had the police at our door saying that they got a complaint about us playing loud music and harassing our neighbor. Each time the police have come they have not seen anything wrong. We have told the police what happened and they say ok and then leave. How is this when we haven't done anything wrong? We have tried talking to her she starts yelling, then after that it is every little thing she starts beating on the wall. Now she is just out right lying to the police. We do not complain about her dogs barking a lot during the day every time someone walks by on the walkway when she is gone.
I now feel that she is just doing this to harass us. Is there anything I can do so we don't have to move away from our home? And can I file harassment charges on her just to have her stop calling the police since they have more important & serious things to take care of with their time as well.

Thank you for your help and time in this matter as well,

Cindy Barkely

She has the right to quiet enjoyment. If your dogs are barking, or your music is too loud, she's doing nothing wrong in reporting you - specially if she feels she cannot safely approach you about the subject.

Keep your music volume to an acceptable level.

In most communities, barking dogs are not considered a nuisance during generally accepted waking hours.

Those hours are usually somewhere between 08:00AM and 8:00PM (sometimes as late as 10:00PM).

As far as preventing people from abusing calls for police service, only the police can make that call.

As suggested, try to keep it down, or look for a younger, noisier community, which can often be found in center city areas of larger urban environments.

Besides, with bluetooth and great headsets, very few people use loud speakers anymore.

If you do that, that eliminate sher ever calling anyone on you.

You can attempt to record the LOUD noises when they occur.

If you do record them on audio or video, be sure to note the correct date and time (some people also record a TV monitor, computer or tablet screen, mobile phone scree, etc..) to document when these events happen.

You can approach your landlord or apartment manager with your proof, and see what he or she says.

If your complex has on site security, some people report it to the security, who often respond faster than the police for these kinds of things.

Whatever you do, remain calm, be professional, and be factual when talking about this.

Don't seek revenge or punishment, do ask to receive quiet enjoyment.

Sometimes the landlord will speak with the offender.

Last edited:
There is really nothing you can do to keep her from calling the police except try not to do anything that causes her to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back