Consumer Law, Warranties Negotiating $$'s in a contract breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster5601

In 1997 I entered into a contract with an online educational institution to teach me 18 courses. There were no deadlines, it was a work when you have time class requiring me to complete the course work and send by mail my worksheets. The total cost after a discount for paying in full was $4420.00 which included book fees.

I had completed two courses and mailed my third course in September of 2006. In return I received a letter from the school, now renamed (again), that told me my contract had been bought out by another company and they were no longer obligated to teach me.

I contacted the company that held my contract and they first offer me a 50% ($15,000.00) discount if I wanted to re-enroll in the newly named school. I refused that offer and told them I wished to complete what I have started. After several weeks, they came back to me with an offer to pay for 29 credit hours in the new school, no dollar amount was indicated.

I offered to cancel the contract for a sum of three times the initial cost; they came back with a dollar offer which was less the cost of books sighting the books are out of date (arguable), and less the cost of the two classes I completed.

Is this the best I can do? Should I continue to negotiate for a full refund or more? Do you suggest I should locate an attorney and turn this issue over legal?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back