Need some major help PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryceK

Ok. My fiance bought a used car at a buy here pay here type of place a few years back. After about a year the transmission took a dump. She took it to a couple mechanics to get quotes on fixing it and all were around $2500. She took it to where she purchased it from and they told her they could do it for $1200~ so of course she took it there to get fixed. The car sits there without being fixed for the longest time so she calls alot and gets an answer of "its almost done, just another week" or she would get the run around from the manager who didnt want to talk to her. In this time she met me and we got together blah blah. By this time a YEAR AND A HALF has gone by since she first brought them her car and they keep saying almost done. Finally she calls one day and goes "look we cant fix your car" dont you think they could have figured that out within the first month if so? Anyway so after that my fiance and i went down to their office and fought with them for a little while and finally we made a deal that they would give us our car back in the condition it was brought into the shop. (also to mention they did give her loaner cars to use in the meantime, 6 of them to be exact because they all kept breaking) so in that final deal we handed their car back to them and i drove her home and that had her car delivered on a saturday to our apartment. Wasnt in the shape it was originally but thats expected after sitting outside in the florida sun for a year and a half with no care. so we end up taking it to a mechanic her family knows, he repairs it to working condition (i guess it was fixable) but total for transmission repairs and everything else were around $3000. We paid it thinking it would fix it. Well 2 days later more stuff goes wrong so the mechanic looks at it some more and find more things wrong. but they arent just defaults. First off the place the car was originally at changed our her transmission with the incorrect one so when the new mechanic fixed it he basically had to put a diff housing on the tramission to make the car think the right one was in there. But today another thing was wrong, he went in there and saw they they cut some hoses to bypass one part of the engine area and put a rod in some part of it to make it "work right" Anotherwords they rigged her car with stuff that wasnt originally in it, even though was asked for it in the same condition it was in. And to fix todays problems ts another $500 dollars to fix. We dont have the money to do this, let alone pay that $3000 we just paid. We are going to sue the company she originally took it too BUT we dont have money for an attorney or anything liek that but we also done have thousands of dollars to fork out to repair a car that a dealership majorally rigged and screwed up. I was wondering if when we sue that they could sue for lawyers fees as well. Also is there anyone in my area that could help us? We are in Miami, FL zip code is 33193
Let me know, thank you.

I'm a little confused -- you left a car which had a bad transmission to be fixed for a year and a half? Is there something I'm missing? It's just so unusual and strange that someone wouldn't just take back the car and get it fixed elsewhere since it was clear that the dealership wouldn't fix the car.

The facts are odd and the place to sue that would be most economical would be small claims court in the county of the defendant dealership. But do understand that a judge or arbitrator, whomever is adjudicating your case, will want to know ALL the facts of the case and will likely ask questions to determine your own credibility given what I'm asking.

KryceK said:
Ok. My fiance bought a used car at a buy here pay here type of place a few years back. After about a year the transmission took a dump. She took it to a couple mechanics to get quotes on fixing it and all were around $2500. She took it to where she purchased it from and they told her they could do it for $1200~ so of course she took it there to get fixed. The car sits there without being fixed for the longest time so she calls alot and gets an answer of "its almost done, just another week" or she would get the run around from the manager who didnt want to talk to her. In this time she met me and we got together blah blah. By this time a YEAR AND A HALF has gone by since she first brought them her car and they keep saying almost done. Finally she calls one day and goes "look we cant fix your car" dont you think they could have figured that out within the first month if so? Anyway so after that my fiance and i went down to their office and fought with them for a little while and finally we made a deal that they would give us our car back in the condition it was brought into the shop. (also to mention they did give her loaner cars to use in the meantime, 6 of them to be exact because they all kept breaking) so in that final deal we handed their car back to them and i drove her home and that had her car delivered on a saturday to our apartment. Wasnt in the shape it was originally but thats expected after sitting outside in the florida sun for a year and a half with no care. so we end up taking it to a mechanic her family knows, he repairs it to working condition (i guess it was fixable) but total for transmission repairs and everything else were around $3000. We paid it thinking it would fix it. Well 2 days later more stuff goes wrong so the mechanic looks at it some more and find more things wrong. but they arent just defaults. First off the place the car was originally at changed our her transmission with the incorrect one so when the new mechanic fixed it he basically had to put a diff housing on the tramission to make the car think the right one was in there. But today another thing was wrong, he went in there and saw they they cut some hoses to bypass one part of the engine area and put a rod in some part of it to make it "work right" Anotherwords they rigged her car with stuff that wasnt originally in it, even though was asked for it in the same condition it was in. And to fix todays problems ts another $500 dollars to fix. We dont have the money to do this, let alone pay that $3000 we just paid. We are going to sue the company she originally took it too BUT we dont have money for an attorney or anything liek that but we also done have thousands of dollars to fork out to repair a car that a dealership majorally rigged and screwed up. I was wondering if when we sue that they could sue for lawyers fees as well. Also is there anyone in my area that could help us? We are in Miami, FL zip code is 33193
Let me know, thank you.

She left it there orignally because its where she bought it and they told her it would be $1200 instead of the $2500 anywhere else she was quoted. Eveytime she called to check the status they would say it was almost done. In the meantime they let her use a loaner vehicle (which she had to keep trading out) finally one day she called and they said listen we cant fix it. that was after a year and a half. ( i was only around the last couple months and i was the one to go help her get it back) So the deal was for them to give her car back unrepaired exactly how it was when she brought it in. So they did whatever and had it towed to us on a sat. Now she took it to a mechanic her family knows and as he checks it out he finds out the transmission isnt the same one she took it in with as well as things were missing that were previously there under the hood. and some things were very rigged (looks like they did TRY to fix it, ghetto style) Anyway the car wasnt even returned to us with the same transmission that was in it to start, they put one in from a diff year hence it doesnt work properly now, even worse then before, it needs to have a housing from her year put on it to work. Many other things are wrong but its from them rigging it and it looks like they were using her car for parts for other vehicles as well due to some of the missing items under the hood, as well as minor things like her antenna, parts of the door panel, her tires she brought it in with, and her back speakers. those were all minor things but the transmission and things under the hood werent. we have proof its the wrong transmission because the numbers dont even match up at all. i was just wondering if we had any chance in sueing them for repair fees since they made it ten times worse then it was when it was brought in. thanks for responding and the help

Is this garage licensed? Perhaps you should also file complaints where they should be filed. Given what you say, your case seems stronger and perhaps it is a small claims case -- but be well prepared. This will be to your great benefit. Good luck and I'm sorry to hear about this horrendous experience.

KryceK said:
She left it there orignally because its where she bought it and they told her it would be $1200 instead of the $2500 anywhere else she was quoted. Eveytime she called to check the status they would say it was almost done. In the meantime they let her use a loaner vehicle (which she had to keep trading out) finally one day she called and they said listen we cant fix it. that was after a year and a half. ( i was only around the last couple months and i was the one to go help her get it back) So the deal was for them to give her car back unrepaired exactly how it was when she brought it in. So they did whatever and had it towed to us on a sat. Now she took it to a mechanic her family knows and as he checks it out he finds out the transmission isnt the same one she took it in with as well as things were missing that were previously there under the hood. and some things were very rigged (looks like they did TRY to fix it, ghetto style) Anyway the car wasnt even returned to us with the same transmission that was in it to start, they put one in from a diff year hence it doesnt work properly now, even worse then before, it needs to have a housing from her year put on it to work. Many other things are wrong but its from them rigging it and it looks like they were using her car for parts for other vehicles as well due to some of the missing items under the hood, as well as minor things like her antenna, parts of the door panel, her tires she brought it in with, and her back speakers. those were all minor things but the transmission and things under the hood werent. we have proof its the wrong transmission because the numbers dont even match up at all. i was just wondering if we had any chance in sueing them for repair fees since they made it ten times worse then it was when it was brought in. thanks for responding and the help

thelawprofessor said:
Is this garage licensed? Perhaps you should also file complaints where they should be filed. Given what you say, your case seems stronger and perhaps it is a small claims case -- but be well prepared. This will be to your great benefit. Good luck and I'm sorry to hear about this horrendous experience.
alright, thank you for the help. i like this place, just found out about it a couple weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back