Need some help with this please!

Samm0000

Jurisdiction
New York
So I'm really interested in considering a career in a specific medical career but I'm a bit discouraged by the fact that doctors can potentially end up in jail for medical malpractice or medical negligence if the worse happens but do you guys know how many years would a doctor go to jail for if the worse actually happens for a mistake he/she made or for negligence? Is there any way to check this online? Are there any official governmental websites that include US laws regarding this matter?

My comments are based solely upon the laws of the United States of America, her 50 states, and her half dozen (or so) territories.

how many years would a doctor go to jail for if the worse actually happens for a mistake he/she made or for negligence?

Zero, zilch, nada, NONE; because negligent/careless acts (while practicing a licensed profession) don't NORMALLY subject one to criminal penalties.

As you are posting from the UK, NOTHING I type applies to the laws of your island kingdom.

So I'm really interested in considering a career in a specific medical career but I'm a bit discouraged by the fact that doctors can potentially end up in jail for medical malpractice or medical negligence if the worse happens but do you guys know how many years would a doctor go to jail for if the worse actually happens for a mistake he/she made or for negligence? Is there any way to check this online? Are there any official governmental websites that include US laws regarding this matter?

If a medical practitioner were to commit medical malpractice, he or she would GENERALLY end up being sued.

The medical professional normally maintains insurance to protect her/him from such CIVIL lawsuits.

Therefore, he or she isn't NORMALLY going to be worried about a prison term because of a negligent/careless act.

He/she would only be concerned with protecting their wealth and/or professional reputation.

There is little need for any medical professional to concern himself/herself with criminal penalties should a mistake be made.

You have to get into medical school first. Worry about one thing at a time.

I'm a bit discouraged by the fact that doctors can potentially end up in jail for medical malpractice or medical negligence

Where did you get the idea that this is true?

Medical malpractice and medical negligence are the same thing, and no doctor is going to be criminally prosecuted for mere negligence. It would take a lot more than that for a doctor to be criminally prosecuted.

Where did you get the idea that this is true?

Medical malpractice and medical negligence are the same thing, and no doctor is going to be criminally prosecuted for mere negligence. It would take a lot more than that for a doctor to be criminally prosecuted.
The OP is not in the US.

Thanks for answers everyone, true, I'm from the UK but I would actually enjoy to one day have the chance to live in the US for a few years.

Back