Need Plea by mail advice for NJ 39:4-88b

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctvictim

Driving on I-80 in NJ I planned to move from a middle lane to the outside lane on the right to reach the next exit. I had started drifting toward the outside lane, but I caught a vehicle coming up fast on the right in my blind spot. I stopped moving over certainly before I entered that lane. It turned out it was a cop who braked suddenly and stayed behind me. I then completed the lane change and he let me drive about half a mile before deciding to pull me over just before the exit. He ticketed me for NJ 39:4-88b, failure to maintain a lane. I felt the ticket was very unfair, as I never actually crossed into his lane... I just started moving before spotting him and stopping the lane change. If anything he was the unsafe driver, moving so quickly on the right into my blind spot. I felt I was being preyed on as an out of state driver, so I wanted to fight it, but couldn't take a whole day to drive back to NJ to appear. They did allow me postpone the court date and enter a plea by mail. So I am wondering, what should I enter on this plea by mail form? Is it best to simply maintain that I never entered the other lane because I spotted the danger first? Should I bring up the unsafe driving of the officer, or is that a bad idea? Anything else I can do to get a good result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back