Need legal advice.Do I have a case here?? Please help

Anupi A

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello Everyone,

I am an International student and I transferred my college in the second semester to a private college in NY. For the transfer I had a Skype interview with the Senior Vice President of the college and during that he told me that I was accepted in that college with a scholarship of $1500 and he would transfer two courses that I studied in my first semester in another college. I had submitted all my documents including the transcript of first semester. I had an overall GPA of 2.1 in my first semester and he had asked me about it in the interview and didn't mention any trouble with the C grade transfer. Instead he approved and quoted " Though your grades are not that good, I like your enthusiasm and I accept you in our college and will transfer two courses and give a scholarship of 1500". This was all in Skype interview and I don"t have any written agreement but no one mentioned about the grades and the policies until now.

Now that I have enrolled in this college and am about to complete the semester they summoned me to say that I don't have enough GPA to transfer the credits. And when I told the Vice President that he was the one who told me my two courses can be transferred he replied " clearly I didn't check your mark sheet properly". And when he said there were two international admission adviser present. Then I told him he had also asked about my grade during the interview too. Now he is saying that the law doesn't allow to transfer the credit?

And when I talked to another student about this, he told me they were repeating the same things with other students too.

What am I supposed to do ? I am really distressed as I have lost so much time and money. And this college is trying to rip money from students like me who come with certain hopes and dreams to this country. Please help me

This seems more an issue of school policy, not of law.
Without guarantees in writing you likely have no argument to make. You are probably going to have to retake those courses and get better grades.

Back