Need help with my paperwork to file an answer for custody

missjamie

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I can't afford an attorney until next week so I have to file my answer to my ex's request for custody. I have all of the paperwork I think, that I printed from online. I've filled out most of it but I'm wondering which paperwork I HAVE to send back in my response to my ex's attorney. I only have a few days left but was wondering if I have to fill out all the financials and all the other extra paperwork for filing to the courts, etc. Do I have to send my ex's lawyer all of that information or just the courts?

I can't afford an attorney until next week so I have to file my answer to my ex's request for custody. I have all of the paperwork I think, that I printed from online. I've filled out most of it but I'm wondering which paperwork I HAVE to send back in my response to my ex's attorney. I only have a few days left but was wondering if I have to fill out all the financials and all the other extra paperwork for filing to the courts, etc. Do I have to send my ex's lawyer all of that information or just the courts?

What does it say that you have to fill out and return? Pretty sure there was something with the paperwork on what you need to have filed by the date. These things are usually pretty clear on what you need to file.

It's not clear at all. I just read it again to be sure and all it says is"an answer to the petition". When I went to the website to get the forms,they have a list of several, including Confidential information form, Confidential financial source documents, Notice to public authority, Financial affadavit, Responsive notice of motion, affadavit of service......which ones do I use to respond to his attorney and which ones do I send to the courts prior to the hearing?

It's not clear at all. I just read it again to be sure and all it says is"an answer to the petition". When I went to the website to get the forms,they have a list of several, including Confidential information form, Confidential financial source documents, Notice to public authority, Financial affadavit, Responsive notice of motion, affadavit of service......which ones do I use to respond to his attorney and which ones do I send to the courts prior to the hearing?

I have no idea because I don't have a copy of what was served to you and I have never been through this. When I went through my divorce, my lawyer filed everything and told me what I had to provide him with and what I had to accomplish, like the online parenting class.

Now with me filing to modify my daughter's residence to move her out of state with me I hired another lawyer and they filed everything and I provide what he needs to do that because this is not a DIY thing I am in.

So what does the petition specifically state that you have to answer within so many days? I know whenever my ex husband has been served he had 30 days to respond and it would say what to respond with.

He served me with a petition to establish custody and parenting time. And I have 20 days from the day I was served, to respond to it. He's saying he wants full custody, child support, yadda yadda, and I'm supposed to answer to it and respond with what I want and/or what I'm willing to give him. I couldn't afford an attorney I'm a single mom and work at walmart. Nowhere in the world would I ever have thousands to pay an attorney. BUT, thanksfully I'm getting taxes back next week so then I will hire one, but it'll be too late to fill out this paperwork...so I have to do it myself. I just don't want to screw up because then he could win everything!! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

He served me with a petition to establish custody and parenting time. And I have 20 days from the day I was served, to respond to it. He's saying he wants full custody, child support, yadda yadda, and I'm supposed to answer to it and respond with what I want and/or what I'm willing to give him. I couldn't afford an attorney I'm a single mom and work at walmart. Nowhere in the world would I ever have thousands to pay an attorney. BUT, thanksfully I'm getting taxes back next week so then I will hire one, but it'll be too late to fill out this paperwork...so I have to do it myself. I just don't want to screw up because then he could win everything!! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

You could try to ask for an extension I just don't know how that works. Whatever forms you found online in regards to responding to custody file that. You could try to find lawyers who give free consultations. Some will give a free 30 min consultation. Then you could at least know what to do. Just search in your area for family law attorneys who do a free consultation.

I will hopefully be talking to an attorney early next week. I was just hoping I'd get an answer this weekend so I can be prepared by Monday. But, it's ok I will continue with my research and hopefully things will work out for the best. Thank you

I will hopefully be talking to an attorney early next week. I was just hoping I'd get an answer this weekend so I can be prepared by Monday. But, it's ok I will continue with my research and hopefully things will work out for the best. Thank you

I'm saying find one who does free consultations now (well not today no one is working) but get a consultation so that you can file stuff on time.

Back