Need help with Emancipation in ONTARIO, CANADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor96

So basically...i know i will get yelled at by all you skeptics about how "I should just deal with it", "get used to it" or "man up". Just hear me out, and just give me some helpful advice please!

In Ontario you can get emancipated, and you need to be 16.

I'm 14 years old, And my mom passed away in 2005. Ever since my dad has been trying to support me, this is good. But he doesn't give any thought to my life at all. I feel that his decisions about me are totally invalid..He doesn't know what will be in my best interest. I have a working job, passport, SIN, Health card, and In high-school. He doesn't come home.... yet he still expects me to clean, cook, leave food for him, etc. I think that me getting emancipated will definetly benefit me because I know what decisions should be made for me...He doesn't sign any of the things i need for school....SOMETIMES after i call him 40 times will he e-mail the school, and that usually doesn't help. I'm athletic and I can never go to any team practices, meets, or games because he doesn't sign off on the medical forms, and registration forms. This will help me in the long run as I already gave been saving up for an apartment since birth that my mother set-up ( i have complete access to this account). I will provide more examples of why I should get this opportunity if asked, I will wait till I'm 16.

Other facts:
- I get good grades
- Never been in trouble with the law
- I have volunteer hours
- I'm involved in school athletics (at least I try to be)
- I have money stored for emergency
- working job
- Legal Documents
- death certificate of mother
- No OTHER Legal guardians.

Legal councilors; please tell me if this information is enough to be able to get me emancipated in Nov of 2012.

Thank you, and Reply ASAP please ! :)

I have money in an account, and I have a paying job. I have an Apartment I'm looking at, or could possibly live with my Aunt who is perfectly capable of caring for me.

Is it possible you could tell me where I pick up the papers for emancipation in Toronto, Ontario; Area?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have money in an account, and I have a paying job. I have an Apartment I'm looking at, or could possibly live with my Aunt who is perfectly capable of caring for me.

Is it possible you could tell me where I pick up the papers for emancipation in Toronto, Ontario; Area?

Thanks!

You could probably GOOGLE "emancipation in Ontario, Canada" and all will be revealed.
You're ONLY 14.
You can't even submit the emancipation papers until you're 16.
Additionally, know this, that fewer than one-half of one percent of those applications in the whole of North America (Canada, USA, and Mexico) get approved annually.

I'm feeling especially helpful this evening, so try these sites:

http://provincialadvocate.on.ca/main/en/about/aboutus.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Family_Law_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority

http://ask.metafilter.com/113141/Emancipated-Minor-in-Ontario-Canada

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414&page=1

Last edited:

Thanks!

Now, as ill-placed as a teenage yankee like me is to advise you on this, there are some things you might want to consider. for example, how much is this job paying you? enough for you to live off of it having to pay taxes, bills, ect? also, instead of emancipation, have you considered applying for a transfer of legal guarrdianship from your father to this aunt who you claim is perfectly capable of caring for you? if you were able to do that, then it would solve your problems without the new ones created by emancipation. in fact, that you feel the need to mention that you will have some sort of guardian shows that you may not be ready for all of the complications of emancipation. Finally, dude, speaking as a teenager, take a step back. I may not know what you are going through, but i know how stupid parents can be, and how difficult it is. your father seems to not realize what it means to be a single parent. no one knows how to handle that. but honestly, instead of getting emancipated and leaving your dad, who seems to be unable of taking care of himself, get a cleaning lady or nanny. ask your aunt to live with you. find some way of removing his expectation of housework and service from your relationship, and try and build a more positive and equal partnership. it may be too late, but try to teach him how to be a good dad, instead of just leaving because you dont feel he is doing as well as he could be. again, this is advice freely given from a stupid yankee who does not have any idea what you are going through, but its free to take. emancipation, i think, should be the last possible thing you try. thanks for reading my rambling. i hope that whatever choice you make, it is the right choice for you.

not to mention at 16 you will still be a minor and cannot legally sign a contract( such as a lease to an apt etc). why dont you wait save your money and when youre 18 you can do whatever you want? by that time you will or should have a sizeable amount of money saved to support yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back