Breaking a Lease Need help on how to terminate my lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylviamocha

Hi,

I really need help on how to break my lease. My landlord was very nice before I signed my lease. However, after I moved in, I found a lot of small issues like broken window handle, stained and scratchy toilet, cabinet under the sink had water stained, dirty and warping, one of 4 stoves is not working, etc. I wrote emails with bunch of pics to ask my landlord questions on those issues and others questions about how to operate lighting and appliance in the apartment because he never told me anything. I admitted I was lack of experience and overlooked all these issues before I signed the lease. I got very mean reply from my landlord. He only want to do a couple of things which he mentioned before but refused to fix my stove which I think is basic housing requirement. I tried not to fight with my landlord and I was not sure if my english expression was not appropriate (English is my second language), so I apologized and explained that I was just try to ask questions and understand the new apartment.

And then, every single month there was issue for this apartment. I found crack on bathroom ceiling and it is getting bigger and start leaking. I told my landloard and he said it is common for house, not like the ceiling collapse. He finally ask people to take a look after I sent him a picture. Then he realized the roof was leaking so he fixed it, but he never come back to fix the crack in my apartment.

Last month when weather dropped down to 20 degree, I realized there is no heat in my apartment for the whole time (it has been 4 months since I moved in) and I did not know that at all. I told my landloard and he checked it out and asked a plumber to fix it. I had to stay at my friend's place for 3 days because it was really cold. Also, he left all the lights in my apartment on and my backdoor unlocked for 24 hours because I was not home. I was really pissed. I texted him and he even ignore my text!

Every time I asked him questions via email, he never wanted to reply. He gave me impression I was annoying him so I tried not to bother him unless emergency.

This month, there was water incident in my apartment because of toilet tank broken overflow while I was away. My landlord said he cleaned it and will come back to replace the appliance. When I got home I found around 6 square feet of carpet was really wet. I had no idea what to do at that time so waited for two days then emailed him to ask he had any suggestions how to dry the carpet up because mold will generate after 24 hours but he had no reply. On the 3rd day after water incident, there was very bad smell in my apartment and I really not comfortable staying at home. On the 4th day, he called and said he put a fan in my apartment to dry up the carpet and he turned on all my fans and increased the heat to 70 degree and told me to keep them like that for 2 days. I asked him that what should I do with my extra cost of utility, he did not answer. Next day, he entered my apartment without notifying me and removed the fan. He did write me an email after he did all the above and I did not find the email until the next day. I was very upset because I also find out he used my hair dryer without my permission and left scratches and dirty material stuck on it. Besides that, the day before I complained that he never fix the front door broken lock and caused me and my neighbors constantly locked out. It has been a few months since the lock became very hard to open. My landlord fixed the lock that day but never told me he changed the key too. So when I got home at 1 am at a freezing night, I found out I was completely locked out. I waited for half an hour in the cold until my neighbors woke up and open the door for me and she told me the landlord told her he left the key in our mailbox. I believed that he did it purposely to me because I told him that in email I was lock out two days ago and I told him I dont use backdoor and I locked the door chain inside usually. I was very upset and got severe headache after staying too long in a freezing night.

I told my coworkers about my landlord. Every single person asked me to move out immediately. I have never met people like this before and I have never thought I will move out before the end of my lease. I have been very stressful dealing with my landlord for months. Please please give me some advice on this kind of situation. He never come back to clean the carpet and I keep feeling the mold will grow out sooner or later and I will get sick. I have a lot of pictures and documented all the emails since I knew that my landlord is not willing to fix things. Now I really want to get out of here and terminate my lease legally. Please help me!

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Sincerely,
Sylvia

You can negotiate an early termination of your lease.

But, it'll cost you.

Start by reading your lease.

Then negotiate in good faith, make an offer.

You might get out for 1 or 2 months rent, sometimes 3 months.

Or, wait out the end of your lease, give proper notice, leave.

Choices have consequences.

How long until your lease is up - you might want to consider waiting until then to move out.

or - If you really want out early, you can try to negotiate an early termination as suggested.

Really? Even he came to my apartment without notifying me and used my stuff???I thought that was crime. He even played dirty on me because I complaint on the broken lock he did not address for months. I think I have my right to live in a safe and comfortable environment. All he have done even was not extreme but still bothered my life a lot. I just can not stop thinking if he will come in anytime or use my stuff without telling me. I have never thought landlord will do this to tenant before. I have been feeling upset for a whole month. Please let me know if there is anyway I can protect my right.

Last edited:
Really? Even he came to my apartment without notifying me and used my stuff???I thought that was crime. He even played dirty on me because I complaint on the broken lock he did not address for months. I think I have my right to live in a safe and comfortable environment. All he have done even was not extreme but still bothered my life a lot. I just can not stop thinking if he will come in anytime or use my stuff without telling me. I have never thought landlord will do this to tenant before. I have been feeling upset for a whole month. Please let me know if there is anyway I can protect my right.

You're wasting our time and yours. We offered you information, if it isn't useful hire a lawyer. You're trying to convince the WRONG people. We don't care. Your discussion should be with your landlord. If anyone burglarizes your home, call "911".

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back