Need Help Getting Emancipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyxgal101

My name is Christina and I am a sixteen year old female. Ever since I turned 16 my life has been just going down hill. So sure, I will admit, I have been a bit of a rebel the past two months or so. I am just so tired if dealing with my parents drama; and I say drama because recently my step-father cheated on my mother while away for going to school for the military. My mother has been crushed by this and I can understand that but my problem is, is that she has been taking it out on me. It may be unintentional but its happening and quite frankly, I am not sure if I am up to dealing with it anymore. I've done my research on how to get emancipated in the state of North Carolina, which is where I currently reside. I still live at my parents house, though I have been searching for a place to stay. I do understand that you must be able to support yourself when emancipated however, my parents will not allow me to get a job. That is also a question of mine, can a parent legally keep me from getting a job?

I am an A-B student, currently taking three AP classes. I am very bright I would say. So by getting emancipated I do understand the responsibilities it comes along with. I have done my research for about two months now. I wanted to make sure that this was the best thing for me and my parents. I finally see that it has come down to this. Sure, my parents may not be "perfect" and neither am I; but for the past few months things have just been getting worse and worse.

I can find a place to stay, I can get a job, and I can very well take care of myself. I have been for the last six years. During my step-father's deployments I have been taking care of my mother with cancer. As time progressed it seems more and more that I have proven to them I can make it on my own. So if that is the question, it should not be. My only concern is that by getting emancipated, I will hurt my mother. I love her to death, I just can no longer handle the stress of all her drama she likes to play. She is a pathalogical lier, has a short temper and is easily manipulated by my step-father.

I need this for my own self, to better myself, and to make it easier on my parents. Sure they are not the worst parents in history, and sure I'm not the best daughter by far. But I honestly do not think that me staying here under my parents is the best thing for anybody anymore. I do also understand that its not easy getting emancipated and I do understand that my chances are low; But I still believe its best. I am just looking for someone to help me through this emotionally and by giving me advice even if it is not what I want to hear. I need the truth to be slapped in my face and if I am wrong, then I will accept that. I just need some validation in my decision.

Thank you for even reading this and thank you so much more for your advice.

Sorry dear, but I don't think it's going to happen.

You have to be self supporting for some time in order to be emancipated. That means you have to have money for rent so you can move out first. Without a job, that would be hard. Also, if your parent's disapprove, you probably won't be able to move out. And yes, your parent's have the right to decide whether or not you can work. Emancipation is usually a Catch-22; it's not possible without your parents' help or approval.

Can you talk to a counselor or teacher at school? Someone else may be able to help work out some of the problems at home so it's not so unbearable for you.

can a parent legally keep me from getting a job?

Yes, they can. And until you already have a job, and one that will pay you enough to pay rent, food, utilities, clothing, transportation, medical care, school supplies, insurance, cell phone, internet connection, and all the other incidentals of life, while you are simultaneously going to school and keeping your grades up, emancipation is not going to happen.

Emancipation is very rare and when it does happen, it is not based on want, but on need. You do not need to be emancipated, you want to be emancipated. You do not qualify at the moment and it is by no means certain that your reasons would convince a judge that it is in your best interest even if you had that job.

I do understand all that. A part of me always knew that I would not be able to obtain it. I guess it was just worth a shot. I reallly just want to get away from all of this. I mean I'm not saying that you all don't understand but you surely don't know exactly what I'm going through. I'm sure that if anybody "truely" knew that they would understand; but my mother is such a pathilogical lier that she makes us out to be the best family there has ever been.

Is there any other way that I could leave my house?
I know that at the age of sixteen you can be legally kicked out.
But am I allowed to just leave? I have a place that I am able to stay.
Its just up to not getting in trouble and getting anyone else in trouble.

Is anything ever possible for me?

No, you can't be kicked out at 16. Your parents have responsibility for you until you are 18. At the age of 16, you live where your parents or legal guardian say you live, and you cannot leave without permission before you are 18. If you leave without permission, you can be forced back home and the people you go to faced with legal charges.

My mother has told me that she can legally kick me out. That isn't true? Then why would she say such a thing? I don't get it. Gah, she is sucha a pathological lier. I can't stand it. So you are telling me there is nothing more I could do then just stick out the rest of the seventeen months and thats it?

Your mother is either mistaken or lying. She cannot legally kick you out until you are 18. She can give you permission to move out but she is legally responsible for you until then.

You cannot move out without permission until your 18th birthday. At that time you can walk away without a backward look (and she has no legal responsibility to provide a dime towards your support). But until then, you live where she says you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back