Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Need advice on fraudulent charges / atm withdrawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahrayexo

Long story short, my mother stole my checkbook and wrote herself 17 checks between December 13th and March 23rd for various amounts ranging from $150 to $350. My aunt wrote herself 3 checks, one on January 29th, February 20th, and March 23rd between $200 to $300. They forged my name and endorsed the checks themselves. They also made fraudulent ATM withdrawals totaling $1,100. Last, they made fraudulent internet purchases totaling 2,041.70. The checks came to $5,400 alone. The grand total is $9,047.55.

When I set up the account in November, I had the bank statements going to my mailing address, my moms house. I kept up with all of my purchases and thought I knew had much was in my account at any given time. When I would go to get my mail, my mom would say the bank statements had not come yet or that she must have accidentally tossed them out.

My local bank never notified me of any of these purchases or withdrawals. The only time I was notified was when I went to a branch of the bank a town over, they showed me a check she had forged, and told me nothing like this had happen before.

My bank would only refund $827.37 because their policy states you must report fraudulent activity within 30 days.

Is their anything I can do to get the rest of my money back? I know nothing about these type of things, this is my first bank account.

Cliff notes: Received inheritance when I turned 18, opened up a bank account. My mom wrote herself checks in my name, made fraudulent internet purchases and fraudulent atm withdrawals totaling over 9,000 dollars. Bank only refunds 800 dollars and refuses to refund the rest because it's against their policy. Only notified once and was told nothing like this had happen before at a branch of the bank a town over.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Oh my goodness. You already notified the bank - now you definitely need to notify the police/law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back