Animal Injury, Dog Bite Need Advice/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakib1981

I live in Boynton Beach, Florida in Palm Beach County. I had the following incident happen at my house in January of 2010.

My neighbor was walking her 2 dogs on the walk way which passes by my back yard. Right around that time my Dad who was visiting was getting ready to take my brothers dog (Sasha) out for a walk. When Sasha (my dog) saw the other to dogs in our back yard she get aggravated and when my neighbors dogs started barking, Sasha (my dog) got lose from her leash and bit one of the dogs. In the process of getting them lose my dad broke his hand by getting kicked by someone who was trying to get the dogs lose and kicked my dad's hand. My neighbor's dog bit another person who got involved to break the dog fight, who shouldn't have as she does to own any of the dogs.

Now my neighbor (owner of the two dogs) is trying to collect $2409 from me for damages to her dog and others. I am in no condition to pay and also her dog came on my property and provoked my dog.

The other person who got involved and got bitten by my neighbor's dog has sued my insurance to get compensation. My dog did not bite her and also she did not own any of the dogs and she should have not got involved.

Should my Dad sue for injuries he sustained (Broken Hand) from getting kicked by others in the event.

Need advice/help.

Sincerely,
Rakibur Joarder

I live in Boynton Beach, Florida in Palm Beach County. I had the following incident happen at my house in January of 2010.

My neighbor was walking her 2 dogs on the walk way which passes by my back yard. Right around that time my Dad who was visiting was getting ready to take my brothers dog (Sasha) out for a walk. When Sasha (my dog) saw the other to dogs in our back yard she get aggravated and when my neighbors dogs started barking, Sasha (my dog) got lose from her leash and bit one of the dogs. In the process of getting them lose my dad broke his hand by getting kicked by someone who was trying to get the dogs lose and kicked my dad's hand. My neighbor's dog bit another person who got involved to break the dog fight, who shouldn't have as she does to own any of the dogs.

Now my neighbor (owner of the two dogs) is trying to collect $2409 from me for damages to her dog and others. I am in no condition to pay and also her dog came on my property and provoked my dog.

The other person who got involved and got bitten by my neighbor's dog has sued my insurance to get compensation. My dog did not bite her and also she did not own any of the dogs and she should have not got involved.

Should my Dad sue for injuries he sustained (Broken Hand) from getting kicked by others in the event.

Need advice/help.

Sincerely,
Rakibur Joarder

No advice you receive form this forum should be used to decide what you do, UNTIL you speak with a local attorney.
If your homeowner's insurance is being sued on your bahalf, I suggest you assist them in defending against these creeps.
You should admit to NOTHING.
You should consult with your insurer's attorney to determine what your next steps should be.

Whether your dad should sue is a decision he needs to make in consultation with an attorney.

Your dad can sue, of course.
Should he?
As I advised, have him consult with a local attorney.

You aren't obligated to pay anything to the neighbor unless a judge orders you to. From the way you describe it I doubt any civil claim would get too far. I also doubt your neighbor can justify the $2400 bill. The neighbor suing your insurance doesn't have much of an argument, but that doesn't mean the insurance won't just pay them to make them go away.

Anyway, as you describe it, you seem to be responsible only for the actual damage caused by your dog. Unless your dog nearly killed the other dog then it certainly wasn't $2400 in damage.

was this ever reported to authorities and if so how long after the fact? I agree, do not pay a dime and dont say a word until you consult an attorney. Just a question.....did/do you have any beware of dogs signs up on your property? If not then put one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back