Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Need advice about graffiti charge

S

Subnautik

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello everyone. I was recently caught writing on a wall with a marker on blackout Wednesday (the biggest drinking night of the year). Barely anything significant was written on the wall. A detective came by my house and told me he wants me to come into the station so he can take my fingerprints and write me a ticket. If I choose not to come in that means he will bring the case to a state level. I'm not really sure what that means but I don't like the sound of it. Is my best option to go into the station then?

Hello everyone. I recently was caught on camera writing on a wall with a marker. It was on on Black Out Wednesday (one of the biggest drinking nights of the year). Not that is an excuse or anything but I'm seeking some legal advice about this. A detective showed up at my house and told me that I need to come into the police station for fingerprints and a mugshot. He threatened that if I choose not to, he will be forced to take the case to a state level. Now i don't like the sound of that and I'm probably just going to go into the station but I can't help to think he is just intimidating me. What does bringing it a state level even really mean? What was written on the wall was about the size of a notecard...And was done with a marker.... Im surprised how big of a deal this is made out to be. Especially since this is my first offense. I just don't want to get screwed over for trying to do the right thing. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is my best option to go into the station then?

No. Your best option is to talk to a criminal defense attorney.

Watch this video:

Barely anything significant was written on the wall.

You may think that but Criminal Damage to Property is a Class A misdemeanor if the value of the damage is less than $300.

It's a Class 4 felony if $300 or more.

It won't be that tough to generate a $300+ bill for cleaning up your graffiti and restoring the wall.

Be very careful about what you do next.

Don't I talk to a criminal defense attorney after i've been charged?

You're FREE to continue to use your thinking abilities to any extent you desire.

Personally, I'd have never thought about writing on any wall.

At this point, before you do anything, you might want to watch THAT video.

After you've watched the video in it's entirety you'll know what to do, and in what order!!

Right now the case is at traffic court level. Maybe its not the worst idea to give them the information they seek so that they wont bring it to a state level?

Right now the case is at traffic court level. Maybe its not the worst idea to give them the information they seek so that they wont bring it to a state level?

Listen, if you don't want to pay attention, then BY ALL MEANS go to the police station.

You've already been told several times what you SHOULD do. Do what you want - no one here wants to sound like a broken record telling you over and over again.

Back