Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication NC probation violation; positive drug test

Status
Not open for further replies.

worriedmom

Hello,

I have a son who is 21, who was arrested a little over a year ago for some pretty serious drug offenses. He got deferred prosection and is on probation until May, 2005.

Anyway, he has had one positive drug test for marijuana, for which he is taking drug treatment sessions. I came home a couple of days ago to find him smoking a joint......if he has another positive test, what might happen? He's been as good as gold otherwise.

Also, we have told him we will not pay for a lawyer. He cannot afford one, but I wondered if our income would be considered if he needs a court-appointed attorney.

By the way, the kid has severe bipolar disorder and attention deficit for which he is in treatment.

:(

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. It is so difficult to deal with someone who is bipolar and I can hope that he received some leniency with regard to sentencing and it might seem so with probation.

Have you discussed how to grab his attention as to the seriousness of this problem? I'm assuming that he may be subject to random testing. Unfortunately limiting his funds might not be enough to ensure your son does not continue to smoke. You need to be tough with him regarding this issue -- the repercussions are likely within the probation terms and positive tests may result in his incarceration but you need to see what it states. You must make him understand that he WILL have a problem with this continued behavior. Have you discussed how to handle relapses with his therapist?

Regarding finances, he is 21 and age of the majority.

Originally posted by worriedmom
Hello,

I have a son who is 21, who was arrested a little over a year ago for some pretty serious drug offenses. He got deferred prosection and is on probation until May, 2005.

Anyway, he has had one positive drug test for marijuana, for which he is taking drug treatment sessions. I came home a couple of days ago to find him smoking a joint......if he has another positive test, what might happen? He's been as good as gold otherwise.

Also, we have told him we will not pay for a lawyer. He cannot afford one, but I wondered if our income would be considered if he needs a court-appointed attorney.

By the way, the kid has severe bipolar disorder and attention deficit for which he is in treatment.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back