Criminal Records, Expungement NC expungment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcmags

Hey, thanks in advance for any help

In 2002(I was 21) I was plead guilty to Misdemeanor Financial Card Fraud. Basicly I used a friends check card to get 12 dollars worth of gas. At the same time I also plead guilty to resist/dely(or something like that), and two DWLRs. I was giving a suspended 10 day sentence, fines and community service.

I have now found it near impossible to get a job. Fraud is an immediate turn off.

Is it possible, and if so how to do I start the ball rolling, to get the fraud off of my record. The resist/dely would be nice also but not a huge deal.

thanks,
James

I think most lawyers charge around $1000 per charge for expungement. Now, I am not sure about a misdemeanor expungement but I'd assume it's the same, being that the paperwork that the lawyer has to fill out is the same. You know it really is a laugh how much a lawyer will charge you just to sign their name on a copied document. The expungement document is the exact same document for ANY charge you receive. The only thing that the lawyers change is to edit the charge on the paperwork to "your" charge and sing the document with their signature and then send it off to the proper avenues (judges, court records, etc... about 8 different copies sent off). It really is highway robbery. Try to find someone you know to do it for cheaper.

NC exspungment

I was 19 years of age, when I was charged with a Felony. I pleaded guilty. Is there any way to have my record exspunged living in North Carolina? It has been 13 years. what are my options?

Hi Ray. As far as I know you should definitely be able to have your record expunged so long as your felony crime wasn't a violent crime.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple questions, that you maybe able to answer.

1. Where do I have to go (internet or law library) that I can do some research on old expungement cases (CASELAW ???) that are simular to mine (North Carolina).

2. Who is the first person to look at my petition that has merit to approve it or deny it?
JUDGE, D.A., OR OTHER?

FYI: I had no previous criminal history, nor did I even get a traffic violation AFTER my convictions. I recieved 6 charges, only one received judgement (but all 6 show on record). I have carried 2 Upper Management jobs (11 years combined), G.P.A. 3.85, certified in Microsoft and Cisco, involved in community, Married with 2 kids ALL THIS AFTER 5 YEARS of convictions (All convictions were handled at the same time).

CAN MY GOOD MERITS ALONE CONVINCE THE COURT SYSTEM THAT I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON, IN ORDER TO GET EXPUNGEMENT? EVEN MY PROBATION OFFICER IS WILLING TO GIVE CHARACTER REFERENCE.

You shouldn't really need any old case logs. You may be better served to call your local D.A.'s office and ask one of the D.A.'s assistants about your chances for an expungement based on your case because I don't know what you were charged with back then.

As far as the first person to look at your papers and either deny or accept, it basically goes out to all of the responsible parties at the same time and the criminal courts record keeping department actually will reformat your record.

Also, you could probably call any district judge in your area and ask his secretary to have him give you a call. Most off duty judges are very nice people (quite the opposite of how they are on the stand).

Basically, I see no reason at all why you would not be granted an expungement. This is mostly all about money. It's just a case of you paying to have your record erased. It's not that big of a deal unless you participated in a violent crime. Otherwise, you'll be okay.

heya Ray

Expunging records is harder than some people here make it out to be. My advice, hire a lawyerto help you through the process, it'll be well worth it to get your life moving forward again. Let me know what has transpired since your last submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back