Criminal Law Naturalization question

Status
Not open for further replies.

micktravis

Hi all.

I'm a British Citizen, married to an American, holding a permanent green card and eligible to become a citizen, which I want to do.

But last week I got busted throwing a cigarette out of my car window, and looking on the net I see this is a misdemeanor.

Assuming I plead guilty and pay the fine, will this affect my ability to naturalize?

Thanks in advance...

Hi all.

I'm a British Citizen, married to an American, holding a permanent green card and eligible to become a citizen, which I want to do.

But last week I got busted throwing a cigarette out of my car window, and looking on the net I see this is a misdemeanor.

Assuming I plead guilty and pay the fine, will this affect my ability to naturalize?

Thanks in advance...

I could be wrong but if memory serves correct, crimes of "moral turpitude" are of utmost importance in determining naturalization. This would mean crimes where your moral conduct comes into serious question. Where most seem to get into trouble are with "petty shoplifting" crimes which are not nearly as small as they think. Stealing at any level is a crime which could be a question as to the moral fiber of that person. Regarding a cigarette summons, I would think that this would not fall under that category. I would always want to remove any charges from my record and if you could work out probation where the charge will be dismissed after a period of time, that's what I might do. I don't know your options... either way, good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back