Naturalization, Citizenship N-400 rejected after strange RFE - Help?

waitingforastar

Jurisdiction
California
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into my situation. I am a green card holder and I applied for citizenship for the first time in October of 2018. My interview was scheduled for September of 2019 and during the interview, I was asked why my mother was not a citizen (my father has passed away). My mother just never ended up applying for citizenship because she never felt she needed to but my older siblings did apply and were all naturalized before me. The interviewer was dwelling on this and requested that I provide pay stubs or a W-2, proving that my mother continued to work for her sponsor employer after she was granted permanent residency in 1993. I told him that it would be difficult to track down such documents from almost 3 decades ago but he insisted that I needed to find them. I passed the civics test and otherwise everything else about the interview went fine. So after the interview I was sent an RFE and I didn't know what to do. Tax records from 1993 don't exist anymore and the pay stubs are long gone as this was almost 30 years ago; the person at the tax institution laughed at how ridiculous the request was. I contacted several lawyers who were really surprised that I was asked this because it seemed incredibly unreasonable. Ultimately, I ended up providing a sworn affidavit from my mother saying she had worked at that time and I sent this in for the RFE but ultimately my N-400 was rejected in October of 2019. I want to reapply for citizenship this year but I wonder how to navigate through this issue because it's on my record and I have almost no way of proving this in a manner that would satisfy them. Any advice would be much appreciated because I'm so lost.

Any advice would be much appreciated because I'm so lost.

I suggest you HIRE yourself an immigration attorney to assist you in seeking US citizenship.

An immigration attorney will be able to explain things that puzzle or befuddle you.

If you can't afford to hire an attorney, you might search for organizations who exist to assist people in your position.

There are dozens of those agencies, perhaps hundreds.

Good luck.

Back