Criminal Law My Ukrainian friend in Prison; She is Urgently trying to go back to her homeland

petitoiseau

My friend is currently incarcerated in prison in South. She is a citizen of Ukraine (born and raised). She came to US as young adult. When she was arrested she did not know much about the law or people in US, and her English was not that good. Anyways, I feel like they railroaded her legally. She has no family in US and can't communicate with her parents, siblings and children in Ukraine directly. The phone system in her prison does not connect with Ukraine, and her email system that prison uses is blocked in Ukraine for whatever reasons. My friend is trying to come back to her homeland. She does not know when and how to start legally this process. She has contacted some places via mail, but got no response. She told prison authorities, but got ''we'll check into it" and nothing followed. For the first 2 years of her sentence her family didn't even know if she was alive because she had no way to contact them and didn't know their numbers or emails by heart. Her family doesn't speak English and they did not know how to find her either. She told her criminal defense attorney and his secretary promised to email them and let them know after she was convicted, but not a single ...thought was given to that promise afterwards. My friend has been incarcerated for 6 years now and is seeking legal help to get herself transferred back to Ukraine. It seems that immigration attorneys don't specialize in the international prisoner transfer and normally respond that they don't know anyone who does. If you know any attorney who specializes in International Prisoner Transfer PLEASE let us know. Any provided information is helpful. My friend and I would REALLY appreciate your help!!!

If you or your lived one ever found themselves in similar situation PLEASE feel free to share your experience in here. My friend was left in a foreign country with no means to communicate with her family, bullied by the authority and legal reps, absolutely alone and scared. And THIS IS NOT OKAY.

We are looking forward to hear from you soon!

She needs to finish her sentence and be released from prison.
After that, with a passport, she can look into traveling to Ukraine.
There is no transfer to seek.

If you like, you can be the contact between her and her family.

My friend is currently incarcerated in prison in South. She is a citizen of Ukraine (born and raised). She came to US as young adult. When she was arrested she did not know much about the law or people in US, and her English was not that good. Anyways, I feel like they railroaded her legally. She has no family in US and can't communicate with her parents, siblings and children in Ukraine directly. The phone system in her prison does not connect with Ukraine, and her email system that prison uses is blocked in Ukraine for whatever reasons. My friend is trying to come back to her homeland. She does not know when and how to start legally this process. She has contacted some places via mail, but got no response. She told prison authorities, but got ''we'll check into it" and nothing followed. For the first 2 years of her sentence her family didn't even know if she was alive because she had no way to contact them and didn't know their numbers or emails by heart. Her family doesn't speak English and they did not know how to find her either. She told her criminal defense attorney and his secretary promised to email them and let them know after she was convicted, but not a single ...thought was given to that promise afterwards. My friend has been incarcerated for 6 years now and is seeking legal help to get herself transferred back to Ukraine. It seems that immigration attorneys don't specialize in the international prisoner transfer and normally respond that they don't know anyone who does. If you know any attorney who specializes in International Prisoner Transfer PLEASE let us know. Any provided information is helpful. My friend and I would REALLY appreciate your help!!!

If you or your lived one ever found themselves in similar situation PLEASE feel free to share your experience in here. My friend was left in a foreign country with no means to communicate with her family, bullied by the authority and legal reps, absolutely alone and scared. And THIS IS NOT OKAY.

We are looking forward to hear from you soon!
What is your friends conviction for? What statute was she convicted under? What state is she in and what state was she convicted in?

Why does your friend not write via USPS to her family?

International Prisoner Transfer Program

Last edited:
My friend was left in a foreign country with no means to communicate with her family, bullied by the authority and legal reps, absolutely alone and scared. And THIS IS NOT OKAY.

YOU can help your friend by contacting the Ukrainian Embassy in DC.

Here are the contact details:

Сontact address:

3350 M Street N.W., Washington D.C., 20007, USA

phone: 1-202-349-2963

In case of emergency:

phone: (202) 322-2616

e-mail:
emb_us@mfa.gov.ua
generalconsul_us@mfa.gov.ua

consular office work schedule: Monday - Friday 9:00-18:00

snapshot_usa.mfa.gov.ua_1639211964677.png

My friend is currently incarcerated in prison in South.

South what? Incarcerated for what?

Anyways, I feel like they railroaded her legally.

Just FYI, without any facts to back this up, this is a meaningless statement.

My friend is trying to come back to her homeland. She does not know when and how to start legally this process.

There is no process to be started until her prison sentence has concluded. When will that be? Once she is out of prison, does she still have a valid Ukranian passport? If so, then the "process" of returning to Ukraine will be for her to buy a plane ticket.

She has contacted some places via mail, but got no response. She told prison authorities, but got ''we'll check into it" and nothing followed.

Contacted what places about what? Told prison authorities what?

My friend has been incarcerated for 6 years now and is seeking legal help to get herself transferred back to Ukraine.

You aren't going to find this on an online message board.

My friend was left in a foreign country with no means to communicate with her family, bullied by the authority and legal reps, absolutely alone and scared.

Your friend's plight more sympathetic if she hadn't committed a serious crime. Think about how this story sounds: A person from Ukraine came to the United States and committed a crime for which she has been in prison for six years. SIX YEARS. That wouldn't have happened if her crime hadn't been significant.

Back