My son's mother threatens suicide, can't take care of son

JamesJ

Jurisdiction
Oregon
Hi all.

I am Canadian, having returned to Canada, and my son and his mother are now in Oregon, but I am unsure where as she tries to stay out of reach. We have never been married.

After months of traveling from states to states with her boyfriend, my ex is now in a very bad spot. Her boyfriend left on new year's eve, she is broke, lives from hotel to hotel, had her car repo'ed and even had her bank account closed due to being overdraft for too long.

She can barely keep a job, having been fired or having left before the end of her contracts (she works for a traveling agency in the healthcare system), and since last may she has moved over 8 times, from states to states, hotel to hotel. She has no home, barely any belongings, and is extremely depressed all the time.

On the 31st she almost committed suicide and called the suicide hotline just before swallowing a full bottle of strong pain killers because she can't take all the bad stuff happening. She has isolated herself from her other kids and family, and it took her mother and me 3 days to make her snap out of that depression.

I'm skipping a million details for the sake of being brief, but my poor baby boy that will turn 4 in February is in the middle of this and I am at a loss about what to do. Right now she cannot afford a daycare and she cannot stay in her hotel because she needs to work to pay for her hotel.

My son has special needs and also requires speech and physical therapy, and with her moving all the time, he is not getting any care at all.

Lawyers I talked to on Oregon want between $7500 to $10.000 upfront, to even start the procedures, given we locate her. One of them did talk about temporary emergency custody, but without prior payment, nobody is going to help. I building up my money, but I don't have that much to give yet.

Given that the ex said she would rather give my son into adoption that have him with me (she had her first son taken from her and she would see that as a defeat, she said), is the only way to help my son through lawyers or can something else be done? CPS has not been helpful.

I do not want anything bad to happen to her, but at this moment I'm very scared for my son.

Thank you and sorry for the long post. It's not the first time I write about this, but it is hard to keep track of her and so much new things are happening all the time.

Contact the law enforcement agency at the last known residence and report her and your child as missing persons if you truly do not know where they are now.
Give them these details and they will consider her and the child at risk and use all resources to locate them quickly. Once located, law enforcement will likely call in social services to assess the situation and determine if the children need protective care. I don't know if they would deliver the children to you in Canada. It seems unlikely, but hopefully there are other competent relatives in the state willing to help.
You do not need an attorney at this point. First you need to get someone to find her and check on the welfare of your child.

Hi all.

I am Canadian, having returned to Canada, and my son and his mother are now in Oregon, but I am unsure where as she tries to stay out of reach. We have never been married.

After months of traveling from states to states with her boyfriend, my ex is now in a very bad spot. Her boyfriend left on new year's eve, she is broke, lives from hotel to hotel, had her car repo'ed and even had her bank account closed due to being overdraft for too long.

Legally, James, you aren't the father of HER child.

An unmarried male, who believes he has sired a child, must petition a court (or work with the state's child support agency) for a paternity test to PROVE the unmarried male's assertion of paternity.

The good news for you is you can do that pro se, or ask the state agency to do it for you.

Had you your added your name as father on the birth certificate that would suffice in Oregon. Oregon honors a voluntary acknowledgment made in another state, too. When there is no agreement on paternity either the mother, the father or the state of Oregon can establish paternity through court proceedings.

This is the website for the Oregon state agency which can assist you:

Oregon Health Authority : FAQs: Establishing Paternity : Change Vital Records : State of Oregon

As you read through it, you'll learn that filing an affidavit of paternity MIGHT be possible for a mere $35.00 (US).

However, that might be difficult, so read it CAREFULLY, and note the email and telephonic contact details for officials of the agency who can answer questions you might have.

More good news, The Oregon Paternity Project will assist you in establishing paternity at NO cost to you.

This is their website:

Oregon Paternity Project - Who to Contact

Until you establish paternity, that isn't your child.
That complicates finding the mother and her child.

Working with her mother is your easiest and best approach until you've gotten through the paternity establishment process which averages 60-90 days, give or take.

Good luck, mate.

Thank you both for once again providing help, and thank you judge for this very detailed reply. It is greatly appreciated and cost is no matter, thanks to a fantastic job I love.

I am indeed on the birth certificate, but I need to legally be recognized as a father, as I want to provide for my son.

Thank you again guys, this is not easy but your comments helped.

Back