My sister got full custody of my child unexpectedly

Kristennicole

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Okay. This is a very long, and very emotional post for me.
Back when I was 17, 4 months after just having my child, I was going through a lot. I was going through post partum extremely badly, and was going through a lot.
I ended up missing doctors appointments, like 2-3 because I had no one to take me.
My mother had seizures, and worked 3rd shift job and needed sleep. And I was also scared of her wrecking if having a seizure.
And the father at the time was out running around doing god knows what.
Child services came and took my child from me and the reason was of "neglect".
Because of missing doctors appointments.(keep in mind Im only 17.)They tried saying I starved her, when she's just a small baby, still is a small baby.
And I haven't heard anything about it these past 2 court dates so I believe they ruled it out.
Now, they gave me a list to do in order to get my baby back and I've done everything that I was suppose to do and my social worker was going to reccomend her back to me in may.
Well, back in March, I was supposably served papers regarding that my sister, (the one I placed my daughter with until I got her back) was going for full custody.
No one explained anything to me at all. I read those papers, and from how I understood it it was nothing to do with the apparent "fighting for custody." And no where did it say I had 20 or so more days to respond like they are trying to say.
I don't know if they tricked me into signing my rights over or what, but when I went to check my mail one day, I had a big, fat letter regarding that my sister somehow managed to get full custody of my child.
I had NO letter stating the court date she apparently went to, and I'm pretty sure they're suppose to let you know the court date so they can let you defend yourself.
Talk about being furious. So I went and hired a lawyer beforehand because they I had to file motion within a 10 day period.
I have one of the best lawyers around. And it's not a lie.
But my sisters lawyer is crooked and is making up any accusations she can just to let my sister have full custody.
And I don't know if they're going to get full custody, but she's only my half sister and me and her was not raised around each other.
I'm 18 years old but i have never been in court over anything else before. I don't know anything about the courts. I've never done a drug once in my life, and somehow my sister gets to choose if my daughter gets to comeback home or not.
Is there anyone that I could talk to about this? Like a higher stand than the judge? Because im not sure if he even knows what's going on. If I'm to be honest with you. I'm just sick of being done wrong and I just want my child back.
I have a job, a stable home, I have food, plenty of clothes, water, electric. And I've went to every assessment regarding my depression and I'm completely fine now. This was almost a year ago. When all of this Happened.
My child is everything to me and I'm tired of being played dirty. My lawyers done everything he can to help me. And we're still fighting to this day but if someone can give me someone to contact to get my child back to me, please. I'm begging. This town is crooked. Druggies can get their kids back faster than someone who went through post partum. How the hell does this even work? Doesn't my sister have to prove me unfit?? Before she can go for full custody also???

You have a lawyer.

You paid the lawyer.

Talk to your lawyer.

Okay. This is a very long, and very emotional post for me.
Back when I was 17, 4 months after just having my child, I was going through a lot. I was going through post partum extremely badly, and was going through a lot.
I ended up missing doctors appointments, like 2-3 because I had no one to take me.
My mother had seizures, and worked 3rd shift job and needed sleep. And I was also scared of her wrecking if having a seizure.
And the father at the time was out running around doing god knows what.
Child services came and took my child from me and the reason was of "neglect".
Because of missing doctors appointments.(keep in mind Im only 17.)They tried saying I starved her, when she's just a small baby, still is a small baby.
And I haven't heard anything about it these past 2 court dates so I believe they ruled it out.
Now, they gave me a list to do in order to get my baby back and I've done everything that I was suppose to do and my social worker was going to reccomend her back to me in may.
Well, back in March, I was supposably served papers regarding that my sister, (the one I placed my daughter with until I got her back) was going for full custody.
No one explained anything to me at all. I read those papers, and from how I understood it it was nothing to do with the apparent "fighting for custody." And no where did it say I had 20 or so more days to respond like they are trying to say.
I don't know if they tricked me into signing my rights over or what, but when I went to check my mail one day, I had a big, fat letter regarding that my sister somehow managed to get full custody of my child.
I had NO letter stating the court date she apparently went to, and I'm pretty sure they're suppose to let you know the court date so they can let you defend yourself.
Talk about being furious. So I went and hired a lawyer beforehand because they I had to file motion within a 10 day period.
I have one of the best lawyers around. And it's not a lie.
But my sisters lawyer is crooked and is making up any accusations she can just to let my sister have full custody.
And I don't know if they're going to get full custody, but she's only my half sister and me and her was not raised around each other.
I'm 18 years old but i have never been in court over anything else before. I don't know anything about the courts. I've never done a drug once in my life, and somehow my sister gets to choose if my daughter gets to comeback home or not.
Is there anyone that I could talk to about this? Like a higher stand than the judge? Because im not sure if he even knows what's going on. If I'm to be honest with you. I'm just sick of being done wrong and I just want my child back.
I have a job, a stable home, I have food, plenty of clothes, water, electric. And I've went to every assessment regarding my depression and I'm completely fine now. This was almost a year ago. When all of this Happened.
My child is everything to me and I'm tired of being played dirty. My lawyers done everything he can to help me. And we're still fighting to this day but if someone can give me someone to contact to get my child back to me, please. I'm begging. This town is crooked. Druggies can get their kids back faster than someone who went through post partum. How the hell does this even work? Doesn't my sister have to prove me unfit?? Before she can go for full custody also???

Are you still retaining this lawyer? If you have the best lawyer around why are you on here? You are paying the lawyer to defend you. Ask your lawyer about all this. Custody doesn't mean you lose your parental rights either.

There are a lot of things missing but it's neither here nor there. If you are paying a lawyer right now you talk to your lawyer and no one else.

You're right. Honestly was just looking for advice if anyone's seen a case like this before because everyone I talk to say they haven't.
And I'm honestly just confused about it. Just asking opinions from other lawyers. I'm not asking to take my case, which I know that's why this website was created, but I was just asking for opinions from different point of views. But thank you for your time.

and honestly, yeah, my lawyer is awesome. He's gave me some great advice. Unlike others failed to do so.
It's just to ask for an opinion. Nothing else honestly. Like if there is someone that is over this county that could HELP me and my lawyer. Or if they've ever seen a case like this. Or if that would even be allowed. But thank you guys and sorry for the time it lost you. Have a splendid day.

and honestly, yeah, my lawyer is awesome. He's gave me some great advice. Unlike others failed to do so.
It's just to ask for an opinion. Nothing else honestly. Like if there is someone that is over this county that could HELP me and my lawyer. Or if they've ever seen a case like this. Or if that would even be allowed. But thank you guys and sorry for the time it lost you. Have a splendid day.

If your lawyer is so awesome he or she shouldn't need any help from an anonymous online forum. Also read the disclaimer: "Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising."

Back