Unlawful Eviction My roommates actions have gotten me evicted

mikeyo

My neighbors in my apartment complex have long been stealing clothes from our shared laundry facilities. Theyve been caught and our landlord let it slide for whatever reason. My roommate is one of the people shes been stealing from and my roommate has been rather verbally aggressive as a result. Not physically threatening to my knowledge but she talks badly about them to the other tenants. Unfortunately this behavior has gotten us an eviction notice even though I am in no way a part of it. Dont know if I can be at fault despite remaining totally neutral. Any advice would be appreciated.

Start hunting for a different roommate and a place to live.

Unless there is something in the lease to the contrary, you both can be given an eviction notice at this time. You might not want to room with the current roommate any more & start looking for a new place to live. Good luck to you.

My neighbors in my apartment complex have long been stealing clothes from our shared laundry facilities. Theyve been caught and our landlord let it slide for whatever reason. My roommate is one of the people shes been stealing from and my roommate has been rather verbally aggressive as a result. Not physically threatening to my knowledge but she talks badly about them to the other tenants. Unfortunately this behavior has gotten us an eviction notice even though I am in no way a part of it. Dont know if I can be at fault despite remaining totally neutral. Any advice would be appreciated.

You should IMMEDIATELY begin negotiations with your landlord to remove your name from the eviction lawsuit and hold you harmless, and you agree to leave the unit within the next 30 days.
For that privilege, you agree to pay the rent for the 30 days (or perhaps 15 days you are allowed to stay over), and waive your security deposit.

Why would you agree to that?

Because, the simple filing of an eviction impacts your ability to ever rent a decent housing unit for decades, if not forever!

You gotta give to get.

Why would you agree to that?

Because, the simple filing of an eviction impacts your ability to ever rent a decent housing unit for decades, if not forever!

You gotta give to get.

Good point, AJ ...........................

Back