my roomate demands to break lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandyb

My roommate of 3 years demands to leave our apartment, thus breaking our lease that is scheduled to end on 8/31/08. She is highly irational and feels as though she can just give me a verbal 30 day warning and leave. We are both on the lease and the apartment management states that we would both need to sign a roommate opt out clause for her to leave and have the form notorized. Even if this is done, I will be responsible for the entire rent. I refuse to sign the rommate opt out form because I feel it is not fair to just unexpectedly decided to move now, even though we were planning to move in August. I am prepared to move in August and should not have to be forced to move now, just because she wants to. Is she liable for her half of the rent and utilities even though she is threatening to break the lease? What are the steps that I would have to follow to assure that she will not leave me with the unexpected bills? Please Help!!!

You will need to sue for any rent you pay after she leaves. Failure to pay rent will likely get you evicted and almos timpossible to find ne wplace with eviction on your record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back