My right to properly I.D. myself, I'm suing the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert 1@

Jurisdiction
Vermont
Basically, I was charged the domestic assault ( by the arresting officer ) and given restraining orders from the people involved ( my family ) and the house I was living in. I can not talk to those people. I can not go to that property, period.

The problem, on that property is my Identifications.

I was told I could get my items back using the local sheffifs office and all I needed was 200.00$.

After months of waiting for a court date I had no other option accept to use that service. However, when I did all I asked for where 3 items:

1) my passport
2) my social security card
3) my birth certificate

And much to my surprise.... a judge denied me, and the sheriff carried out those orders.

Now, two months later, I'm suing :
1) The state of Vermont.
2) The court house where that judge came from.
3) The Sheriff's Department

Today, the only form of I.D. I have is my driver's license, which expired on my birthday, 11/24.

I've already filed and served!

My question is simple.... what do you think?

You are an American citizen.

You exercised one of our many rights by seeking redress of a grievance using the court system.

My opinion on your lawsuit is meaningless.

Good luck.

I can't figure out what grounds the OP is suing on.

I can't figure out what grounds the OP is suing on.

Litigants often bring a lawsuit based on their faulty or flawed understanding of the substantive issues of the case, the law; driven by their desire to right a perceived slight or wrong.

Litigants often bring a lawsuit based on their faulty or flawed understanding of the substantive issues of the case, the law; driven by their desire to right a perceived slight or wrong.
Isn't that what I said? ;) :p

Your lawsuit will be dismissed for the same reason the judge denied you access and the same reason alluded to by cbg.

You could have gotten duplicates months ago.

As for your driver license renewal, apparently all you had to do was mail in this form at least 30 days prior to expiration.

VL-021-License_Application.pdf (vermont.gov)

You are your own worst enemy.

However, when I did all I asked for where 3 items:

1) my passport
2) my social security card
3) my birth certificate

And much to my surprise.... a judge denied me, and the sheriff carried out those orders.

What do you need these things for? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be entitled to them, but I don't think you're doing any international travel anytime soon. I can't remember the last time I had a need for my actual social security card. If you really need a birth certificate, you can obtain a duplicate from the vital records department in the county/state where you were born.

Now, two months later, I'm suing :
1) The state of Vermont.
2) The court house where that judge came from.
3) The Sheriff's Department

For what are you suing these individuals/entities/things?

Today, the only form of I.D. I have is my driver's license, which expired on my birthday, 11/24.

Why didn't you renew it in a timely manner?

what do you think?

Well...I think suing a courthouse is pretty bizarre. It's like suing a car or a set of golf clubs. Beyond that, and while you didn't tell us anything meaningful about the lawsuit you filed, I can't conceive of any viable causes of action you might allege against the state or the sheriff. That leads to the belief that your lawsuit will be quickly dismissed and that you ought to consult with a local attorney. Your remedy upon being denied the ability to obtain your property should have been an appeal.

You can't sue courthouses or judges. That will not happen. Suing the sheriff or the state isn't going to last very long.

As others pointed out, you could easily get most of this stuff replaced on your own. Further, if you have issues with the restraining order and arrangements, you need to avail yourself of the correct process, If you don't think there's proper timeliness to a validly filed case, there are ways to address that need to be followed before a random civil suit.

You need a lawyer more than anything else.

I think that for much less than $200 you could have had at least a duplicate SS card and birth certificate mailed to you months ago.
I think that for much less than $200 you could have had at least a duplicate SS card and birth certificate mailed to you months ago.
You can't sue courthouses or judges. That will not happen. Suing the sheriff or the state isn't going to last very long.

As others pointed out, you could easily get most of this stuff replaced on your own. Further, if you have issues with the restraining order and arrangements, you need to avail yourself of the correct process, If you don't think there's proper timeliness to a validly filed case, there are ways to address that need to be followed before a random civil suit.

You need a lawyer more than anything else.

You are correct, many have pointed to the fact that I could have renewed some of these documents. HOWEVER, what many people are not considering that that I really can't! I need to identify first. No government is going to grant a social security card or birth certificate unless they can verify your identity first.

Saying that I can just easily do this.... is simple not true.

What do you need these things for? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be entitled to them, but I don't think you're doing any international travel anytime soon. I can't remember the last time I had a need for my actual social security card. If you really need a birth certificate, you can obtain a duplicate from the vital records department in the county/state where you were born.

For what are you suing these individuals/entities/things?

Why didn't you renew it in a timely manner?

Well...I think suing a courthouse is pretty bizarre. It's like suing a car or a set of golf clubs. Beyond that, and while you didn't tell us anything meaningful about the lawsuit you filed, I can't conceive of any viable causes of action you might allege against the state or the sheriff. That leads to the belief that your lawsuit will be quickly dismissed and that you ought to consult with a local attorney. Your remedy upon being denied the ability to obtain your property should have been an appeal.

I'll address you a little at a time.
To your first statement, I do travel internationally. And has often has I can.

But without my passport I can not. And without two forms of I.D. I can not get a passport.

My right and abilities to travel abroad where taken when I was denied the right to self identify.

But without my passport I can not. And without two forms of I.D. I can not get a passport.
You could have used your (at the time) unexpired driver's license to request a duplicate copy of your birth certificate as well as your social security card. Since you allowed your license to expire, you will need to renew it before doing anything else. Once you have your license renewed, you can apply for your replacement SS card (Replacement Card | SSA) and your certified birth certificate. Once you have your certified birth certificate, then you can apply for the replacement passport. This process will be faster than any court action would be.

My right and abilities to travel abroad where taken when I was denied the right to self identify.
Your inaction hasn't helped.

many have pointed to the fact that I could have renewed some of these documents. HOWEVER, what many people are not considering that that I really can't! I need to identify first. No government is going to grant a social security card or birth certificate unless they can verify your identity first.

You had a driver's license that you said expired less than three weeks ago. Maybe things are different in Vermont, but why couldn't you simply mail the renewal paperwork and a check to the DMV (or go to the DMV office and pay)? I've had a driver's license for nearly 40 years, so I've renewed it 8-10 times over the years and have never had to provide any additional ID documentation to renew it. Once you have a renewed driver's license, that should be more than sufficient to get a replacement birth certificate and SS card. Also, you said this situation first arose "months ago." Your driver's license was still valid then, so what's your excuse why you didn't deal with this before the DL expired?

OK...I know lots of folks who like to travel internationally. They're doing none (or very little) since COVID hit.

You haven't provided any rational explanation why you cannot easily renew your driver's license or obtain a replacement BC and SS card.

I fell that if I do not fight for my identity... who will?

Really?

You had a driver's license that you said expired less than three weeks ago. Maybe things are different in Vermont, but why couldn't you simply mail the renewal paperwork and a check to the DMV (or go to the DMV office and pay)? I've had a driver's license for nearly 40 years, so I've renewed it 8-10 times over the years and have never had to provide any additional ID documentation to renew it. Once you have a renewed driver's license, that should be more than sufficient to get a replacement birth certificate and SS card. Also, you said this situation first arose "months ago." Your driver's license was still valid then, so what's your excuse why you didn't deal with this before the DL expired?

OK...I know lots of folks who like to travel internationally. They're doing none (or very little) since COVID hit.

You haven't provided any rational explanation why you cannot easily renew your driver's license or obtain a replacement BC and SS card.

Really?
Great question,
And you are correct. I had my personal driver's license for several months before it expired, you are correct. However it is NOT enough for a birth certificate or social security card. Those items are not like your other formes of I.D. They do not expire and or are they renewed. They are reissued. Passports and i.d.s expire and I agree that the process is simple and easy .... you still need to identify yourself first.

Like many, many things in life... you need two forms of i.d.

If you want a new job.
If you want a p.o. box.
Often, if your renting or buying a home or car. Getting a bank account or loan... two forms.

I appreciate your question and put to you this....

What if I never had my i.d.?
Or better yet, what if you lost your identity? Possibly ALL of your forms? Maybe... house fire or someone simple stole it from you? That would not be a good situation.

Also, ill mention this.... even q P.o.w has the right to his or her papers. And to ever have a judge, or any other form of government refuse you your right to self identify.... its a hard thing to accept.

To me, it's a punishment and a judge should have known better. I'm not a criminal and I've not had my day in court.

Separation from identity is a horrible experience many people don't have it had good has I did, my situation. Many people can and do not get their lives back in order after the loss of identity.... look at a homeless person , without papers.

Thank you for your comment.

HOWEVER, what many people are not considering that that I really can't! I need to identify first. No government is going to grant a social security card or birth certificate unless they can verify your identity first.
It'd actually very easy to get a replacement SSCard online, and you can get a certified BC via Vital Check, also online. Really.

You do NOT need to provide other forms of ID to replace your birth certificate or your SS card.

Try again.

Give it a rest. Assuming you were born in VT all you needed was your unexpired driver license to get a certified copy of your birth certificate per the following instructions.

HS_VR_Instructions-App-Certified-Birth-Death-Certificate.pdf (healthvermont.gov)

If you were born in any other state, say which and I'll look that up for you.

Meantime, your problem is one of your own making. Your ranting about what ifs and how unfair life is, is falling on deaf years.

As there is nothing more we can do for you here, I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back