my mother in law's rights as a grandmother

Status
Not open for further replies.

margarita

My mother in law is a nightmare. I forbid her to see my son. I am still married to my husband, her son. does she have any rights at all?

In most states, no. If you are in NY however, she may have some. Now if your husband allows contact that is his right and an entirely different matter.

I agree, there is nothing you can do to stop Dad from seeing your MIL. You do not have more rights than Dad he is free to take the child to visit his family. If you guys wind up divorcing and you stay in FL then there probably still is nothing you can do to prevent dad from seeing his family on his time with the child. If your anger is centered around a dispute of some sort, no court is going to side with you on keeping the child from the grandparents out of pure spite.

If you can show and prove that contact with your child can cause harm then perhaps. How long has this been going on and how long have you known?

I've always known there is an alcohol problem and that my husband's stepdad does drugs, but their last visit proved to be unnerving to say the least. When they took care of the baby one day when he was 5 months old, they were gone for hours without a bottle, wipes, etc. Like you said I would have to prove it.

Heres your problem
I've always known there is an alcohol problem and that my husband's stepdad does drugs
Now that you and Dad are not together its an issue where before it was not. See where I am going? Not siding with Grandparents just showing you your hurdles. Furthermore sad as it seems kids are often to tools in fights between parents and even more sad is Grandparents often involve them selves as well.

My mother in law is a nightmare. I forbid her to see my son. I am still married to my husband, her son. does she have any rights at all?
She is the grandmother then of course she can see her grandchild unless there is some type of abusive behaviors, that are threat to your son, why would you not want your son to have an extended family unit to love and care for him, give him some type of sense of family? If you are just using child to get back at the old woman for something shame on you has nothing to do with the kid really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back