My Money was not really mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeShepherd

On April 1st i had $93,262.13 Sent into my checking account and $2,436.39 into my savings account. I assumed this was a bank error and left the funds alone for a week but the funds still remained. On April 8th i called my bank to ask about the money and where it had come from. Over the phone i was told that i was the beneficiary to my Step-father's account (He had passed away the year before) and that the money was legally mine and i had 100% of the rights to the money. This is false, i was NEVER the beneficiary to his accounts, My mother was (his wife). not me.

From then until today (5/10/09, 40 days) i had spend around $6,000. Ranging from Food to repairs on a car. Today i log into my online banking to find all of the original amount has now been withdrawn from my savings and checking and my account is now Negative around 6,000 dollars.

I talked to the bank today and they are trying to rush me into a payment plan to pay the money back. They tell me that the debt now lays on my shoulders and the money was never suppose to go to me.

What are my rights?! i feel that i should not be forced to pay the money back. i was told by the bank that the money was mine and i had purchased a few items that i would not have purchased had i not received this amount of money.

The manager of the bank told me that they made a long string of mistakes that lead to this and apologized for what happened but told me that since they screwed up i now have to pay for it. The money was never suppose to be in my account, it belonged to my mother.

Last edited:
On April 1st i had $93,262.13 Sent into my checking account and $2,436.39 into my savings account. I assumed this was a bank error and left the funds alone for a week but the funds still remained. On April 8th i called my bank to ask about the money and where it had come from. Over the phone i was told that i was the beneficiary to my Step-father's account (He had passed away the year before) and that the money was legally mine and i had 100% of the rights to the money. This is false, i was NEVER the beneficiary to his accounts, My mother was (his wife). not me.

From then until today (5/10/09, 40 days) i had spend around $6,000. Ranging from Food to repairs on a car. Today i log into my online banking to find all of the original amount has now been withdrawn from my savings and checking and my account is now Negative around 6,000 dollars.

I talked to the bank today and they are trying to rush me into a payment plan to pay the money back. They tell me that the debt now lays on my shoulders and the money was never suppose to go to me.

What are my rights?! i feel that i should not be forced to pay the money back. i was told by the bank that the money was mine and i had purchased a few items that i would not have purchased had i not received this amount of money.

The manager of the bank told me that they made a long string of mistakes that lead to this and apologized for what happened but told me that since they screwed up i now have to pay for it. The money was never suppose to be in my account, it belonged to my mother.

You have the right to repay the money you spent.
You owe the bank the money.
You made a poor choice for which you must now pay.
You could speak with your mother about a $6,000 advance against your inheritance.
That way, the bank would get off your back, and your mother could take the advance from, your inheritance.

Last edited:
Even if I was told by a representative from The bank saying the money was mine. The bank has even just told me they found the recording of the conversation proving this?

MikeShepherd said:
Even if I was told by a representative from The bank saying the money was mine. The bank has even just told me they found the recording of the conversation proving this?

Yes, even if.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back