My husband wants to throw us out.

Lisa M-D

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I have been married for almost 3 years now. I have two children living with me, 15 and 20. The 20 year old is a full time college student with no way to currently support herself. My husband is a disabled veteran and receives a monthly allotment to cover living expenses for all three of us. We live in a house belonging legally to his mother. A house we planned on purchasing with the promise it would be placed in my name "so you will never be homeless again".
This promise was never put into writing however. House has yet to be financed and now my husband wants to throw us out. He has threatened to have all utilities cut off as well. I currently have no job as my husband insisted I stay at home and take care of the family. We have no where to go. I love him and don't want a divorce to begin with, but now I have to worry about what I'm going to do to survive. I can't even get a lawyer.
What can I do?

Simply put, he can't throw you out. Not legally anyway. Cutting off the utilities would also be illegal. If any of these things happen your local law enforcement should help to straighten it out.
If his mother is the owner of the property only she can remove you, and even then it would require a lawful eviction from the court.
Your bigger concern should be the reason WHY he wants to throw you out. Resolve that and your other troubles should go with it.

I love him and don't want a divorce to begin with, but now I have to worry about what I'm going to do to survive. I can't even get a lawyer.
What can I do?

A lawyer will take his or her fees out of your husband's monies, if you want to divorce him.

You seem to like the abuse he heaps upon you, so I wish you more of whatever it is that makes you happy.

Back