1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

My Ex-Wife and I

Discussion in 'Child Support' started by SeaDog, Jan 11, 2018.

  1. SeaDog

    SeaDog Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Upon our separation my ex wife and I agreed that my child could leave with me. We weren’t technically divorced yet when I left. A year after our separation my Ex filed for a divorce. Her lawyer and herself came up with a divorce agreement that was signed in the courts in VA saying that i would have custody of my child for half of her regular education and she would get her the rest. It also stated that she would not be obligated to child support while my daughter was in my custody and when my child returned I would not be responsible for paying child support. It also states that we were both responsible for our child’s health care, only all of the responsibility has been on myself. My daughter has a few medical things that I’m currently taking care of but my ex wife is becoming more unruly with time. She’s making demands and sounding very much like a woman thats about to make things very hard for myself once my daughter is primarily in her care.

    My question is what should I do? I take care of my daughter. My ex wife pays NOTHING. Not child care, not medical expenses, NOTHING, but she’s becoming more demanding with time. Once I felt like our divorce agreement was enough, but now I feel like shes about to completely disregard it. Should i file anything? Advice please!
  2. mightymoose

    mightymoose Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Regardless of previous agreements, when circumstances change people tend to go back to the court to modify the agreements. Perhaps that is what you should be looking to do.
    hrforme likes this.
  3. zddoodah

    zddoodah Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Not really sure what that means. Are you saying that your daughter will live with you for a while and then move in with your ex until your daughter is an adult? For example, if she was 8 at the time of the divorce, she lives with you until she's 13 and then lives with your ex? With the noncustodial parent presumably having regular visitation. Is that what you're saying?

    Assuming that you are now divorced and that your "divorce agreement" was signed off on by the court and incorporated into a divorce decree, if your ex-wife is not contributing to your child's medical care as required in the decree, you are free to seek to enforce the decree through the court. I'm not sure if this question is intended to address anything other than that. There isn't anything you can do now about things your ex-wife may or may not do at some unknown time in the future.

    So...she wants to spend more time with her child? What's wrong with that?

    If you feel as though the agreed arrangements are not working out, either of you is free to seek to modify the decree. If that's what you want to do, I suggest you confer with a local family law attorney.

Share This Page