My ex was disbarred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewelz

My ex was disbarred in Missouri and suspended in Kansas. He then lied under oath that he was an attorney and he claimed to have "given up" his law career to stay home with our sons while I pursued my career. (Mind you, I have a high school diploma. No higher education, whatsoever...) In our divorce, he was given primary custody of our sons as a result of this deception and numerous others. BUT, (there is a happy ending here) my new attorney did further research & found he was not an attorney at all, and hadn't been one in 3 years. He had been disbarred!!!! I didn't know he had been disbarred until my attorney found documentation on line. My ex had been lying to me! He told me he wanted to quit being a lawyer and become a teacher. He was actually forced to quit!

Along with his disbarrment, I was also able to get written documentation on nearly every other lie he told our judge and the custody was then flip flopped right back to me. Hooray!!!!

He has no qualms with lying under oath. He said in court he intends to reverse his dissbarment and he also plans to get caught up on his CLE requirements. He stated he wants to go back to his law career.

Financially, that would be great as I get $300 a month in child support for 3 kids. BUT, ethically, I fear he will take his lies to the courtroom again and some woman in the same position I was in during our divorce will be at his mercy.

Who knows, maybe he was lying about becoming an attorney again.

What are the chances of reversing a disbarrment?

To lose your license to practice law requires a relatively serious act. Do you know the reasons for your ex's disbarment? I think it is impossible to give any odds that someone may once again be permitted to practice law since we don't have all the facts and I don't know specifics with regard to the procedure in Missouri.

I'm not sure you should be so concerned with your ex. Everyone talks about what they are going to do and having it happen -- that is another matter entirely. I'd live my own life and not look back.

Jewelz said:
My ex was disbarred in Missouri and suspended in Kansas. He then lied under oath that he was an attorney and he claimed to have "given up" his law career to stay home with our sons while I pursued my career. (Mind you, I have a high school diploma. No higher education, whatsoever...) In our divorce, he was given primary custody of our sons as a result of this deception and numerous others. BUT, (there is a happy ending here) my new attorney did further research & found he was not an attorney at all, and hadn't been one in 3 years. He had been disbarred!!!! I didn't know he had been disbarred until my attorney found documentation on line. My ex had been lying to me! He told me he wanted to quit being a lawyer and become a teacher. He was actually forced to quit!

Along with his disbarrment, I was also able to get written documentation on nearly every other lie he told our judge and the custody was then flip flopped right back to me. Hooray!!!!

He has no qualms with lying under oath. He said in court he intends to reverse his dissbarment and he also plans to get caught up on his CLE requirements. He stated he wants to go back to his law career.

Financially, that would be great as I get $300 a month in child support for 3 kids. BUT, ethically, I fear he will take his lies to the courtroom again and some woman in the same position I was in during our divorce will be at his mercy.

Who knows, maybe he was lying about becoming an attorney again.

What are the chances of reversing a disbarrment?

You don't know the hell this man put us through and the waste of taxpayer money, the judges time (3 days of trial and 2 days of mediation), my own attorney's fees(over $10,000)...as a result of his barrage of lies. I had to get counseling for post traumatic stress from all of this! So, yes, in a way, this put me in a bit of a time warp, my life stopped a little as a result of what he did. I have gotten on with my life, I've dealt with what he's done but I do fear him in a courtroom again.

It's comforting to know his chances are slim of practicing law ever again.

My attorney metioned inappropriation of client funds(?), he was a a gambler. Also missing statutes of limitations on 2 cases which caused the cases to be dismissed.

I know that by sharing 3 kids with the man, I will be facing him again in court. He is pro se when ever we go to court so it ain't effecting HIS pocketbook. My new attorney enjoys facing my ex in court, I don't enjoy the $200 an hour, but that's the way it goes.

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through. Sounds daunting and the cost hurts as well. At least you have some measure of retribution, which some never have.

My understanding is of the procedure is akin to gambling on baseball (lol) in that you must reapply for readmission. This can include a long waiting period, taking the bar exam again and going through the process as though you were never an attorney. Below is an example of readmission requirements in Arkansas.

PROCEDURES OF THE ARKANSAS SUPREME COURT

REGULATING PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT

OF

ATTORNEYS AT LAW

SECTION 24. READMISSION TO THE BAR.

A. No attorney who has been disbarred or surrendered his or her law license in this State shall thereafter be readmitted to the Bar of Arkansas except upon application made to the State Board of Law Examiners in accordance with the Rules Governing Admission To The Bar, or any successor rules, and the approval of the Arkansas Supreme Court.

B. Provided, however, that application for readmission to the Bar of Arkansas shall not be allowed in any of the following circumstances:

(1) Less than five (5) years have elapsed since the effective date of the disbarment or surrender;

(2) The disbarment or surrender resulted from conviction of a Serious Crime in any jurisdiction other than commission of an offense for which the culpable mental state was that of negligence or recklessness; or

(3) Any of the grounds found to be the basis of a disbarment or any grounds presented in a voluntary surrender of law license are of the character and nature of conduct that reflects adversely on the individual's honesty or trustworthiness, whether or not the conviction of any criminal offense occurred.

Jewelz said:
You don't know the hell this man put us through and the waste of taxpayer money, the judges time (3 days of trial and 2 days of mediation), my own attorney's fees(over $10,000)...as a result of his barrage of lies. I had to get counseling for post traumatic stress from all of this! So, yes, in a way, this put me in a bit of a time warp, my life stopped a little as a result of what he did. I have gotten on with my life, I've dealt with what he's done but I do fear him in a courtroom again.

It's comforting to know his chances are slim of practicing law ever again.

My attorney metioned inappropriation of client funds(?), he was a a gambler. Also missing statutes of limitations on 2 cases which caused the cases to be dismissed.

I know that by sharing 3 kids with the man, I will be facing him again in court. He is pro se when ever we go to court so it ain't effecting HIS pocketbook. My new attorney enjoys facing my ex in court, I don't enjoy the $200 an hour, but that's the way it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back