My ex fiancee is holding my belongings in storage

lmah

My ex-fiance open a storae unit in his name we both have things in the unit. Majority of everything in the unit belongs to me all household items. I have been paying on the unit since it was open last June. I have been late a few times and since I have been the facility cut off the original lock. Per public storage policy the primamry lease holder must purchased a new lock in order to retrieve to have access to the storage unit and the only person who can buy the lock is the primary lease holder which is my ex. My name is on the lease as an alternate and I do have access to the facility but I can not purchased the lock. THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME! NOR IS THIS IN PUBLIC STORAGE CONTRACT THAT THE PRIMARY LEASE HOLDER SIGNS! IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO ABOUT DO THIS?
I have spoken with my ex and I have explained this situation to him and I have asked him if we could go together and get this resolve because we are no longer together and the bill is getting to much for me to handle. He refuses because he is upset because we are no longer together. WHAT IS IT THAT I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS RESOLVE? I have spoken with public storge manager, property manager, district manager, and the regional manager explaing this situation and they are not allowing me access o the unit until my ex comes to the facility purchase another lock gives me the key so I can get access. Also, the police will not get involved. Truthfully, once I know what I need to do legally I do not want to be alone with him at the storage facility if he has to be there. I am afraid of what he might do because of a past domestic violence case and if there is any paper work tha I need to file I do not want him to know my address. PLEASE HELP!! I NEED TO GET THIS RESOLVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! TRYING TO MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE!! Thank you

My ex-fiance open a storae unit in his name we both have things in the unit. Majority of everything in the unit belongs to me all household items. I have been paying on the unit since it was open last June. I have been late a few times and since I have been the facility cut off the original lock. Per public storage policy the primamry lease holder must purchased a new lock in order to retrieve to have access to the storage unit and the only person who can buy the lock is the primary lease holder which is my ex. My name is on the lease as an alternate and I do have access to the facility but I can not purchased the lock. THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME! NOR IS THIS IN PUBLIC STORAGE CONTRACT THAT THE PRIMARY LEASE HOLDER SIGNS! IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO ABOUT DO THIS?
I have spoken with my ex and I have explained this situation to him and I have asked him if we could go together and get this resolve because we are no longer together and the bill is getting to much for me to handle. He refuses because he is upset because we are no longer together. WHAT IS IT THAT I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS RESOLVE? I have spoken with public storge manager, property manager, district manager, and the regional manager explaing this situation and they are not allowing me access o the unit until my ex comes to the facility purchase another lock gives me the key so I can get access. Also, the police will not get involved. Truthfully, once I know what I need to do legally I do not want to be alone with him at the storage facility if he has to be there. I am afraid of what he might do because of a past domestic violence case and if there is any paper work tha I need to file I do not want him to know my address. PLEASE HELP!! I NEED TO GET THIS RESOLVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! TRYING TO MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE!! Thank you

You've attempted all of your easy remedies.
The contract limits your options, and what you are able to have done.
The only option is to convince him to do what the contract requires.
He won't do that, and that leaves you with one last option.
You can go to court, and seek a court order to compel the facility to allow you to retrieve your stuff and place that stuff into your own unit.

I suggest you speak with two or three lawyers in your county.
The first meeting is usually at no charge, and you can ask a few questions and see what a lawyer might be able to do for you.

The issue is the arrangement you entered into voluntarily, and courts are reluctant (and often their hands are tied) to second guess our citizen decisions.

Perhaps you can offer to pay him $500 to allow you to take your stuff out of the unit?
If he agrees, take three or four trusted associates with you to complete the deal and get your stuff.
This is why unmarried people should never commingle or mix their personal and financial dealings.

Good luck.

Back