My client used business instagram to stalk and sexually harass his ex girlfriend

Kadems82

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I worked for one and 1/2 months for a "supplement" company as a community manager and was given nothing but push back when asked for content for social media platforms. During this time I was given access to the company instagram account. One day my phone started going off with direct messages to the company account. Upon checking them I noticed messages to the supposed girlfriend (which after reading noticed it was ex girlfriend) that were stalking and sexual in nature. The next day he sent a picture of his penis to her. I abruptly quit within a week of this because I was very uncomfortable and he failed to give me anything I needed in terms if content . He constantly asked me to work outside the scope of our agreement. Now I am no longer comfortable working with new male clients and have had bouts of anexity... Not being able to leave my bedroom or couch. Sleeping all day. I barely advertise my freelancing service as I am afraid of the responses I might get. I am starting to wonder if I should take this to a legal level.

I worked for one and 1/2 months for a "supplement" company as a community manager and was given nothing but push back when asked for content for social media platforms. During this time I was given access to the company instagram account. One day my phone started going off with direct messages to the company account. Upon checking them I noticed messages to the supposed girlfriend (which after reading noticed it was ex girlfriend) that were stalking and sexual in nature. The next day he sent a picture of his penis to her. I abruptly quit within a week of this because I was very uncomfortable and he failed to give me anything I needed in terms if content . He constantly asked me to work outside the scope of our agreement. Now I am no longer comfortable working with new male clients and have had bouts of anexity... Not being able to leave my bedroom or couch. Sleeping all day. I barely advertise my freelancing service as I am afraid of the responses I might get. I am starting to wonder if I should take this to a legal level.

Talk to a lawyer or two in your county, a female lawyer is you can't be near male lawyers.

Thank you, I did take screen shots of some of the messages except the explicit picture

Good for you.

Take what proof you possess that supports your assertions with you to show the lawyer.

Please, don't post that filthy nonsense here.

I would never it was so vulgar I would not want anyone to read it... I would be embarrassed and I didn't say it
Good for you.

Take what proof you possess that supports your assertions with you to show the lawyer.

Please, don't post that filthy nonsense here.

If you had been an employee, I would have suggested possibly filing an EEOC complaint. But as an independent contractor, you have a lot less protection. Probably why he brought you in as an IC rather than an EE. I kind of doubt your contract has anything to protect you -- I know I wouldn't foresee the need to put any kind of clause in that covers something like this. But you might consider doing that in the future so you can put clients on notice that you wont' put up with this type of behavior and have it be a reason to immediately terminate your contract.

Honestly I am not sure there is much you can do legally. Whoever he is "stalking" might have a case. You might turn over what you have to them, if you know who they are. But they should have a copy themselves if it was sent to them.

I am sorry you are dealing with this and gently would suggest speaking with a cognitive behavior therapist about how to deal with the anxiety -- my DD had very good luck with her issues that way.

No there was nothing in my service agreement however would it make any difference if I was supposed to have been paid 60% of my fee via profit share... I left before he even made a sale.

Back