My children's Tae Kwan Do school is trying to collect almost $9000 regarding a contract

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,

I joined this tae kwan do school for my 3 children 1 whom is autistic. So they tried all 3 of my children and told me that my youngest one (who has autism) should do private lessons and my other 2 they will pick up from school and do aftercare. It was convenient because it was less than 5 minutes from my house. Anyway my son had private lessons and at first the instructor would cancel (no make - up classes) at least once a month and then if because more frequently. He would even get distracted and cut the 30 minute class short. So I said no more. I told the school that I am given him a 1 months notice because of the inconsistency and he really wasn't learning anything. Within that month he cancelled, a class and on the last day, pretty much walked out on my son (yes left him and told me a different instructor, was going to finish the class!) when I reminded them that it was the last class and not to charge me. My other 2 children were still going for after school. They decided to move further north (less than 2 miles) but it took at least 20 minutes to get there. It was inconvenient with very little parking. Didn't really care for the area anyway. I told the grand master that not only was his aftercare teacher mean (she will punish the entire class if a few students acted up) the new building was an inconvenience to me so I will be cancelling. I was upset about the private classes, the afterschool teacher having the entire class standing up on one leg and the other hand on ears, and the new location. He tried to save me but I said no. there were also a lot of hidden fees. We had to buy their equipment of they could not train ($375) plus testing to move up in the belts ($50 per child, $10 to break boards, and we had to pay for weapons) none of which was explained or in the contract. however, if you didn't do or pay the above, your child wouldn't participate.

After almost a year of not hearing anything from them, I received a letter from a layer office attempting to collect almost $9000 for a breach in contract. I put a review online and the owner responded and said he wants to speak with me. I asked him for a copy of the contract and he said he will send it but I haven't received it yet.

Please see the email (from the bottom to top) Thread and please let me know what my options are:-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: $9000 incorrect charges
To:

Read his response

On Dec 5, 2017 11:47 AM, "" <*********@gmail.com> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Dec 5, 2017 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: $9000 incorrect charges
To: " <*********@gmail.com>
Cc:

Please attach a copy of that contract that you said I signed? BTW, I stated facts not derogatory statements. Again, if you are going to pursue this I need a copy, with my signature stating all what you said. Please provide that.

Thank you

On Dec 5, 2017 11:36 AM, "" <**********@gmail.com> wrote:
Mrs. *********,

Thank you for your reply I want you to know that us conversing is to educate one another exactly what happened and do what the contracts allows each party to do.

Your claim no balance is due and accounting claiming otherwise, we'd like you to tell us why.
Contractually we both are obligated which dictates what each parties can do, ***** is just as obliged as you are.
A review does not entitle anyone to be relieved of contractual obligations. Matter of fact you've agreed not to put up any derogatory online statement as stated in your agreement.

Lastly I am taking the time to talk to see exactly how I can assist and possibly help you avoid legal actions which the accounting department takes contracts very serious. Whether you're right or wrong, once a legal action is taken you will then have to hire representation which will be very costly not to mention time you'll have to take off work and take a chance being served by a sheriff possibly at your work place.
I am just educating the facts of legal ramifications.
My schedule is very demanding but as stated I'm making the time for you so please let me know when you're available, meanwhile accounting will email you a copy of your contract for your review so you may exactly know your claims are true or false. Thank you and Happy Holidays

GrandMaster *******

On Dec 5, 2017, at 10:57 AM, <*********@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi good morning,
I am a little swamped at work and won't be able to call you right now. Just to be fair and give you a chance to fix this, I have temporarily removed the comment until further notice.

Thank you

On Dec 4, 2017 7:48 PM, *********@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok thank you

On Dec 4, 2017 7:36 PM, " <*********@gmail.com> wrote:
Call me tomorrow late morning please

GrandMaster *********

On Dec 4, 2017, at 7:32 PM,*********@gmail.com> wrote:

What is a good time to call you tomorrow. And what guarantee do i have in taking down the review that this will be taken care off? I mean, it is factual. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it is basically saying, if i dont take the review down, you won't resolve this. I am a reasonable person but i don't want to get screwed over again.

On Monday, December 4, 2017, <*********@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes call me tomorrow meanwhile I'm going to ask you kindly to remove reviews if you'd like me to assist you in any way. amail_google_com_mail_e_1f64f_.png Thank You.

GrandMaster *********

On Dec 4, 2017, at 7:00 PM, *********@gmail.com> wrote:

May I call you tomorrow?

On Dec 4, 2017 5:51 PM, "=" <*********@gmail.com> wrote:
This is GrandMaster ********* I'd like to personally speak to you so give me a call *********

On Dec 4, 2017, at 3:20 PM, Zahra Wellington <zahrawellington@gmail.com> wrote:

To Whom it may Concern

Last night I received a bill for almost $9000 from a lawyers office. I will need to see the contract that I supposedly signed. I do remember that your instructor G*** took advantage of my special needs son by cancelling his classes without make up and walking out of his class when I gave notice that Jacob wont be coming back because of his inconsistences. That was at the old building. I also remember the British afterschool teacher that was very abusive to the children another reason that J*****and J******, as well as other children stopped going which was probably why you eventually got rid of her. I didn't sign any contract at your new building either. I believe this is a mistake, either way please have it cleared.

Thank you

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 3:22 AM, *********@gmail.com> wrote:

Attachments

• aci6_googleusercontent_com_proxy_8hcp4cYrstgPGBvaWf9yHFb_ihUjo9e028af401a074a357fcbcc6d727405a.gif
    aci6_googleusercontent_com_proxy_8hcp4cYrstgPGBvaWf9yHFb_ihUjo9e028af401a074a357fcbcc6d727405a.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
you need to get a copy of the contract and take it to a local attorney. Depending on what you signed, some or all could be enforceable (for example did you sign up for after school care for the whole school year and what were the options for cancelling during the agreement period?)

Missing classes might get you some credit, but bad teachers might not. Again it's going to depend on local law and the agreement that you signed.

you need to get a copy of the contract and take it to a local attorney. Depending on what you signed, some or all could be enforceable (for example did you sign up for after school care for the whole school year and what were the options for cancelling during the agreement period?)

Missing classes might get you some credit, but bad teachers might not. Again it's going to depend on local law and the agreement that you signed.

He claimed I signed a 3 year contract for the black belt club, not so much the after school. They did change schools and that particular site don't pick up where my kids go now. they would have to go to a different location. The fact that they moved won't relieve me of the contract? I don't really like to area that they moved to and it was kind of out of my way. the original building was on the same street as where I lived. The moved (in the same city) just a little north but it takes me at least 20 minutes out of my way.

Their move likely doesn't void the contract, but doesn't mean that you can't argue the point. You will have to see the contract to figure out what's what.

Whatever the case, you do not have to pay anything at all just because someone sent you a letter demanding it. Unless they seek a judgment against you in court and a judge orders you to pay then you have no obligation to pay.

You would have opportunity in court to make whatever argument you choose to eliminate or reduce the amount they demand. They will have to fully account for the $9000 they are demanding and prove every penny of it is owed.

Personally, this is the sort of thing I would completely ignore. Emails and telephone calls are meaningless. If they want to communicate with me it will be in writing and will show up in my mailbox. Even then I have the choice whether I wish to respond or not.

You have no obligation to respond to anything other than an official summons to appear in court. If you should ever receive one THEN you might seek the services of an attorney.

He claimed I signed a 3 year contract for the black belt club, not so much the after school. They did change schools and that particular site don't pick up where my kids go now. they would have to go to a different location. The fact that they moved won't relieve me of the contract? I don't really like to area that they moved to and it was kind of out of my way. the original building was on the same street as where I lived. The moved (in the same city) just a little north but it takes me at least 20 minutes out of my way.

You need to consult a LICENSED attorney in your county.

Your issue is far too complicated to be resolved on the internet.

The links that someone could provide for you, you can find by using Google yourself.

Good luck finding an attorney to assist you in unraveling this matter.

Back