My children now live with me full time but I need to change custody to main parent and switch child

Wenona

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello. Prior to about a month ago, my 2 daughters had been living with my ex-husband. He was and is currently the custodial parent and I had them 30% of the year. Back in February 2020, DCF had gotten involved at my ex-husbands house. All the children were removed from the household including my daughters for a little over a month. The case was then closed and my daughters were sent back to my ex-husband's. However they informed DCF and all involved parties that they did not want to go back and live there, they wanted to live with me, their mother. Due to the situation at their old house, my older daughter developed anxiety and started having panic attacks and my younger daughter became depressed, was cutting herself and was having suicidal thoughts. A few days prior to them being removed from their household, my younger daughter was Baker Acted due to her cutting and mention of having suicidal thoughts. They are 14 and 16. I need to change custody so I am now the custodial parent and I need to switch child support from myself to my ex-husband. I don't know where to start and the parenting plan would have to change not just be reversed. My daughters informed me they do not want to spend weekends, vacation or holidays at the old household so I know that will affect the child support. I just need some guidance. I also still am on child support.

Hello. Prior to about a month ago, my 2 daughters had been living with my ex-husband. He was and is currently the custodial parent and I had them 30% of the year. Back in February 2020, DCF had gotten involved at my ex-husbands house. All the children were removed from the household including my daughters for a little over a month. The case was then closed and my daughters were sent back to my ex-husband's. However they informed DCF and all involved parties that they did not want to go back and live there, they wanted to live with me, their mother. Due to the situation at their old house, my older daughter developed anxiety and started having panic attacks and my younger daughter became depressed, was cutting herself and was having suicidal thoughts. A few days prior to them being removed from their household, my younger daughter was Baker Acted due to her cutting and mention of having suicidal thoughts. They are 14 and 16. I need to change custody so I am now the custodial parent and I need to switch child support from myself to my ex-husband. I don't know where to start and the parenting plan would have to change not just be reversed. My daughters informed me they do not want to spend weekends, vacation or holidays at the old household so I know that will affect the child support. I just need some guidance. I also still am on child support.

You should really speak to a local attorney about your options.

Have spoken to anyone at DCF about how you might proceed?

There are three possibilities available to you:

1 If not, contact the person(s) from DCF that have been in contact with you.

2 Reach out to a couple family law attorneys and see if you can find one within your price range.

3 Your FL State Child Support Agency
This is the website where you can discover the info you seek:

Florida Dept. of Revenue - Child Support Program

Back