My case has been ruined.. because of the Public Prosecution Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcchiefette

When I was 14, I started a relationship with a young man of 18 (February 2008). During the relationship, I was sexually assaulted on numerous occassions - about 5 serious incidents and an extra 50+ assaults during a 6 month period. During our relationship, we told me telling someone would get us both in trouble. I was practically blackmailed to keep quiet. He also told me he was going to stop using protection, because if he pulled out nothing would happen. Of course, he wouldn't take no for an answer. In July 2008, I realised I was pregnant, at the age of 15. He was now 19. I suffered an ectopic pregnancy. For a month, I could hardly walk with my stomach pains, and also cried with pain, but still he continued with the abuse. It was torture. We split up at the end of August 2008. I got told I miscarried shortly after this. He could not have cared less. My mum (who was unaware at the time) helped me to file a complaint against him in September 2008.

The police process was long and hard and daunting. I did my physical examination, then my interview (which was 2 and a half hours long). I was then taken to a meeting with a prosecutor, and this is where is gets interesting.

During our entire meeting, he constantly undermined me, and made me break down in tears. He kept us for almost 2 hours, when it was meant to be half an hour. He was pushing me to go for rape, even though I knew in my heart it wasn't at all. The police officer was present and was disgusted by his behaviour as well. And to make matters worse, he 'forgot' to give me the sheet for a time extension. Which now means that I cannot take the case any further, despite that it wasn't my fault. I feel cheated by my system, and I don't know if I can take any legal action?

I received an apology from the prosecutor, but is that good enough? My case is ruined now because of his silly mistake.

Can give advice on what I should do?

Your laws are different in the UK.
It sounds like you are wanting to do something about some kind of physical assault that was not rape? You could very well be limited by time, and have zero evidence to back you up. A timely report of the assaults would have allowed police to document injuries and would have allowed courts to attempt to protect you from future assaults.
Depending upon your laws in the UK this may very well have been rape due to your age. Your consent has no value at your age. You can still likely proceed with that charge since you have medical evidence that you were pregnant.

From what you describe, it does not sound like you were cheated. You sound like a sympathetic victim. This man took advantage of your age, molested and raped you, and now you are protecting him by hindering his prosecution.

The prosecutor knows the law better than you. Work with them and allow them to do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back