Auto Loans My brother is in the middle of a divorce..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveEmHellGirl

My brother just servered divorce papers to his (almost) ex wife. She has his car but doesn't make payments or pay insurance. They cannot contact each other whatsoever. Both names are on the title but the agreement was she has to start paying on the car but she hasn't for 3 months. My brother is in the military and his lawyer isn't doing anything to really help him. He's running out of money and his credit is going to be ruined. He just wants to get the car back. Is there anything at all that can be done legally in FL?

Joint ownership of property almost always creates problems. I don't understand why he cannot contact his ex-wife since she will need to have an address on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles that is current. I'm assuming that you're saying that communication will be difficult - after all, he has a divorce lawyer. He might first want to cancel the insurance policy and send the ex-wife a letter indicating that he will do so. That will stop the bleeding. Regarding legal possession or "re-possession" of the car, it's just as much his car as it is hers. They are best of selling the car and dividing the proceeds. Otherwise, I don't know whether it would be unlawful for him to use his own keys to drive the car away - especially if it is parked on public property. She might be able to do the same to him. Thus it would seem best to solve the joint ownership problem in this manner or he can threaten not to make payments (and that would ruin his credit in addition to hers) and neither party will have the car. That seems like the worst outcome of all. You should ask his lawyer before doing anything as I am thinking out loud without knowing much of anything concerning the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back