My 19yr old is caught up in Truancy Court and I am being held responsible

N

NC1002

Jurisdiction
Texas
My 19yr old is caught up in Truancy Court and I am being held responsible. My Son often refuses to go to school. I am a single Mom working full time and I have a younger child to care for. I would love for him to finish and graduate more then anything, however, I can not make him do anything. I have tried everything, he has been to boot camp and counseling nothing works. At this point he is 19 and I feel like it should be on him, not me. The Judge makes us go to court 3-4 times a month to check-in, it is effecting my job that I can not afford to lose. What can I do?

My 19yr old is caught up in Truancy Court and I am being held responsible. My Son often refuses to go to school. I am a single Mom working full time and I have a younger child to care for. I would love for him to finish and graduate more then anything, however, I can not make him do anything. I have tried everything, he has been to boot camp and counseling nothing works. At this point he is 19 and I feel like it should be on him, not me. The Judge makes us go to court 3-4 times a month to check-in, it is effecting my job that I can not afford to lose. What can I do?

He's an adult.
You can evict him from your home.
You have no obligation to parent an adult.
He can simply withdraw from school, again he's an adult.
He doesn't like school, he's making no progress, he's causing you financial pain, he's causing you emotional pain, simply tell him to FORMALLY withdraw from school.

If he wishes to waste his time by staying in school, tell him to simply assume responsibility for his education by assigning himself as his guardian/parent because he's an adult.

Heck, you can simply tell him to get out.
Many times those who behave as he does are happy to leave, thinking they screw decent people.
However, if he does leave, don't ever allow him to return inside your home.
Once he does, he won't leave, then you'll have to evict him.
Heck, give him $25, $50, or $100 to leave tonight.
Ne'er do wells think that's a fortune, but don't weaken when he returns after wasting his $50 or $100 wealth.

Know it all teenager adults aren't very clever, and are easily tricked.
Trick him into leaving, and your life gets easier, plus you save your younger children.

Back