Breaking a Lease mutually ending a lease

flossie

My rent has gone up $100 in one year and another $175 the next year. I am on Section 8 Housing and have to pay $275 out of pocket over the amount that housing will pay. I asked the new managers if I could transfer to a 1 bedroom from my current 2 bedroom apartment. He said to come back in a few months when a lot of people were moving out. When I went back he said he would not transfer me. He said they no longer were taking housing vouchers, but were only letting people stay there who were already on housing. He also said he would not renew my lease. I tried to do this with the old managers when it was time to sign the lease and they said they would see what they could do. There was no one bedroom available at the time. Is there anything I can do about this? I asked the manager if he would mutually agree to end the lease.(lease ends Nov.30,2015) He said something about it costing 25% of one months rent and 30 days notice. When I looked at the lease, the 25% fee is for terminating the lease and not for a mutual agreement. I do not feel like he really answered my question. In the lease it says that there is a fee if there is a mutual agreement to end the lease, but it does not state what it is. I cannot terminate the lease or I could no longer be on Section 8.

Another question I have is - aside from any deliberate destruction, is there any kind of statue of limitations on security deposits. I have lived in this apartment for 25 years.

My rent has gone up $100 in one year and another $175 the next year. I am on Section 8 Housing and have to pay $275 out of pocket over the amount that housing will pay. I asked the new managers if I could transfer to a 1 bedroom from my current 2 bedroom apartment. He said to come back in a few months when a lot of people were moving out. When I went back he said he would not transfer me. He said they no longer were taking housing vouchers, but were only letting people stay there who were already on housing. He also said he would not renew my lease. I tried to do this with the old managers when it was time to sign the lease and they said they would see what they could do. There was no one bedroom available at the time. Is there anything I can do about this? I asked the manager if he would mutually agree to end the lease.(lease ends Nov.30,2015) He said something about it costing 25% of one months rent and 30 days notice. When I looked at the lease, the 25% fee is for terminating the lease and not for a mutual agreement. I do not feel like he really answered my question. In the lease it says that there is a fee if there is a mutual agreement to end the lease, but it does not state what it is. I cannot terminate the lease or I could no longer be on Section 8.

Another question I have is - aside from any deliberate destruction, is there any kind of statue of limitations on security deposits. I have lived in this apartment for 25 years.

I suggest you discuss all of this with the agency that assists you with housing.
The landlord doesn't have to let you out of the lease.
The landlord doesn't have to renew the lease, and neither do you.
A landlord isn't required to take section 8 vouchers, or housing assistance vouchers.

Again, I don't know who paid your deposit. I suggest you ask the agency that assists you.
If the agency paid the deposit, it'll be returned to the agency.
No, a deposit is always returned, less any damages and fees owed.

I guess you might want to figure out a way to pay your rent like the rest of us must do.
The free rides are ending, because the country is going broke.

Back