Corporate Law Musician has LLC, needs help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

promusicbiz

Hello-

I'm a musician who formed an LLC with another musician for the purposes of recording a CD together. When forming the LLC, it was understood that this would be a 50/50 partnership. However, since forming, my partner has since gotten married to a woman who is very hostile to our work, burdened himself with the financial responsibility of providing for her, a house, a dog, a baby, 2 new cars, etc., etc. This has forced me to assume more and more responsibility for the LLC and the CD.

Were not so much of my personal reputation, time, money, work (not to mention the 2+ years work of 15 volunteers) at stake, I would've severed the relationship long ago, but because so much of my personal resources are invested, I have to finish the work in order to (hopefully) recover. I'm a poor person, and this is a lot of money we're talking about. What's worse is that my partner makes approximately 5 times at his job what I do at mine, so that this is happening is very unequitable.

Here's the other problem. My partner is the engineer, owns the recording studio that the CD has been recorded in, and is in possession of the masters. So, I worry that pissing him off might put the work at risk. Although the CD isn't finished yet, it's close to be finished, so I hope this will all be over soon. But, my gut is telling me I need legal advice, because he's showing more and more signs of stress, his wife is becoming more of a problem and adding to the stress, there's less and less communication, and I'm being forced to take on more and more expense and responsibility just to keep everything above water.

My question is what options do I have to protect my investment, or if need be force my partner to compensate me for his share of the expenses I've paid, or worst case scenario, if he's unable to finish the work, force him to at least pay what it would cost to have somebody else finish it?

Also, what I can do to protect our CD from his wife? As his wife, can she make any trouble for the LLC?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back