music contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtree

Hai everybody,
i am in the middle of starting a music label, that is going to sell music as downloads.
my question is:
do i need a signed contract from my artists ?
or,
is a on-line contract (witch is simular to the user licences that comes with software ) good enough ?

Be very careful doing this. You will need to make sure that your licensing is appropriate and that can get very specific and you may need to keep into account what the purpose of the license is for. You don't want to get sued by artists and your customers!

I would say that it goes without saying that you need a contract with your artists. How else would you be able to obtain the rights to the music from your artists? The online contract that comes with software is a completely different function. There is a license between you and your artists to own or own the right to sell and distribute licenses to their songs and one between you and your customers giving them a limited license to download and use.

adtree said:
Hai everybody,
i am in the middle of starting a music label, that is going to sell music as downloads.
my question is:
do i need a signed contract from my artists ?
or,
is a on-line contract (witch is simular to the user licences that comes with software ) good enough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back