Moving Out

Haven Brookes

I'm 17 and i want to move out. I absolutely hate it here at my house. I want to move out ASAP! I have enough money to get an apartment in my town and to buy me a new car etc. The thing is I don't want to go to court. I'm at an age where I can mostly definitely take care of myself. I wan to move out in like a month or so. I haven't told my parents what my plan is. They scare me. What's the best way of going with this? What should I do? I also KNOW that me moving out is going to help me in school. I will be able to get more involved with extra-curricular things, that can also help me out with college and stuff.

As noted above, you didn't furnish your state - we can't always go by IP address.

In any state, the legal age to move out without your parents' permission is 18. There are a couple of states that due to anomalies in the law, law enforcement will generally not return home a 17 year old if they are in a safe place & your parents know where you are. However; even in those states, if your parents want you home, the police will not override your parents.

I'm 17 and i want to move out. I absolutely hate it here at my house. I want to move out ASAP! I have enough money to get an apartment in my town and to buy me a new car etc. The thing is I don't want to go to court. I'm at an age where I can mostly definitely take care of myself. I wan to move out in like a month or so. I haven't told my parents what my plan is. They scare me. What's the best way of going with this? What should I do? I also KNOW that me moving out is going to help me in school. I will be able to get more involved with extra-curricular things, that can also help me out with college and stuff.

So your going to provide for yourself while attending school. Getting more involved with extra-curricular things for college and stuff. Then who is going to get a job to pay for all your expenses? Housing, Electric, Heating, Phone, Water, Sewer, Car Insurance, Renters Insurance, Gas for car..... What about your health insurance? School expenses.... How much is it going to cost you per month to live on your own? How much money will you get every month working?

You can move out on the earlier of the day your parents give you permission to move out, or your 18th birthday, whichever comes first.

There may be an exception or two to that answer, but whether any of those exceptions exist can only be determined when we know what state you are in. Please note that one or two of those exceptions will mean waiting until you are 19.

I suggest reading all the threads on emancipation.

You don't want to go court but you want legal rights? Sorry you have to go to court for that. However, you likely don't qualify to be emancipated as you're not already living on your own.

Your parents "scare" you? Good they should.

Have you really thought about how much it takes to live on your own? Let me break it down for you:

Rent
Utilities
Car payment
Gas
Groceries
Cell phone
TV/Internet (but you don't need those to live)

Here are my monthly bills:
1st:
Rent/Utilities a little over $1000 a month
Car insurance: 70-73
Car payment: 617 a month
Daycare: Set aside $400 for two weeks

15th:
Electric: depends anywhere from 40-75 a month
Gas: 18-45 a month
Internet/Cable: 152 a month
Dental insurance for my daughter: 11.68 a month
Daycare: 400
Netflix: 10.69
Cell phone: 180 (2 lines)
Credit card: 270

Now some of those you wouldn't have unless you have a kid. Then I add on gas, diapers, clothes, etc. You're really ready to handle that and go to school at 17? Now cable/internet are not a necessity or Netflix and if I was struggling I wouldn't have them. When I was in college I waitressed and made 3.20 an hour plus tips. Two years of that. Then nursing home in the kitchen. 7 something. I had enough for gas, groceries and rent was cheap because I lived with my best friend in a house her mom owned. But I struggled. Senior year of college I had 3 part time jobs. And was a full time student. It was hard.

How do you plan on participating in extracurriculars AND paying your bills? Who is going to work and take care of you? You most definitely can't have a job and live on your own and be involved in those things at 17.

How about you just stay with your parents until you graduate high school and then go to college or whatever you want to do?

Do your parents abuse you? Neglect you? I'm going to go with no. But you have no idea what it takes to be an adult. Man I wish I was in high school again sometimes. I just had to worry about school, sports and I babysat. None of the crap I have to worry about now.

Back