Extension, Renewal Moved Out of NYC Apartment - Can I Get It Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklyngm

I wasn't sure where to post this so my apologies if I'm in the wrong spot!

Some important background info:
I moved to a Brooklyn apartment about 7 years ago and signed a lease with my landlord
I rented out a few rooms to friends who never signed onto the lease
I moved out of the apartment a few years ago and got my security deposit back from one of the roommates
I never renewed the lease with my landlord, even though I kept asking. He just never cared about renewing, so even though I left the apartment to my friends, I am still the last person on an official lease with my landlord
My friend is now leaving the apartment and giving the apartment to a few of her friends, even though the apartment is furnished with all my old stuff, etc.

My question:
Would it be legal at all to move back into this apartment since I'm the only one on the lease? Or did I forfeit all rights since I moved out and got my security deposit back?

I wasn't sure where to post this so my apologies if I'm in the wrong spot!

Some important background info:
I moved to a Brooklyn apartment about 7 years ago and signed a lease with my landlord
I rented out a few rooms to friends who never signed onto the lease
I moved out of the apartment a few years ago and got my security deposit back from one of the roommates
I never renewed the lease with my landlord, even though I kept asking. He just never cared about renewing, so even though I left the apartment to my friends, I am still the last person on an official lease with my landlord
My friend is now leaving the apartment and giving the apartment to a few of her friends, even though the apartment is furnished with all my old stuff, etc.

My question:
Would it be legal at all to move back into this apartment since I'm the only one on the lease? Or did I forfeit all rights since I moved out and got my security deposit back?

I suspect NOT all will come to the conclusion you did.
I suggest you forget about doing anything.
You've made your money, don't be greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back