Roomate Moved out cause roommate was unsafe, but......

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetstar4ever

I had to move out of the place I was leasing due to it not being safe to live with my housemate. my landlord had told me that if one of us were to move out before the lease was up that the other one would be responsable for the other ones half of rent if that happen. now she is saying I owe her owe her for the last 2 months on the lease. I had to leave because it was not safe. is the law on my side on this one?!

Maybe maybe not. What was unsafe and what measures did you take to correct the issues? Just because your landlord doe snto seek rent from you does not mean your roomate cannot sue you for your portion of rent. You might have reason to leave but first tell us what was safety issues and what did you do or attempt to do to fix issues as well as how long you tried.

No it is not. When you moved out your roommate had to pay the full rent, however if your roommate chooses to sue you in small claims to recover what was paid on your behalf you would likely be ordered to pay. If the roommate did not pay the full rent then the landlord could take action against both of you.
Until a judge orders you to pay you don't have to pay anything. Perhaps you could persuade the judge your safety concerns were reasonable.

You will have to prove it in the court of law that your concerns were genuine with supporting evidence if it goes to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back