Moved in 6 days ago with a lot of issues!

T.jamestm1

Jurisdiction
Texas
I just moved in an apartment less then a week ago. During my stay so far someone has just walked into my apartment "on accident". The tenant above me has two huge Pitt bulls (which are not allowed or authorized) (known by the apartment complex but they asked for me to take video for proof so they can act on it.) And my boyfriends truck was broken into last night. Is there anything I can do to get out of this lease? I don't feel safe. I honestly feel like it might be the tenant above me or his friends that broke in. I don't feel safe at all.HELP!

I just moved in an apartment less then a week ago. During my stay so far someone has just walked into my apartment "on accident". The tenant above me has two huge Pitt bulls (which are not allowed or authorized) (known by the apartment complex but they asked for me to take video for proof so they can act on it.) And my boyfriends truck was broken into last night. Is there anything I can do to get out of this lease? I don't feel safe. I honestly feel like it might be the tenant above me or his friends that broke in. I don't feel safe at all.HELP!

Your friend's truck being burglarized means nothing.

He's not on the lease.

Even if your truck was burglarized, it too, means nothing.

The intruder should have been reported to "911", too late for that now.

The pit bulls, means nothing to you.
That's the landlord's worry, but he doesn't care.

There are four ways to get out of the lease, LEGALLY.

I don't think you'll like three, you might like one.

You can die. Bet that doesn't appeal to you.

You can stop paying rent, eventually the landlord will evict you.

You can wait until the lease nears expiration and give notice to the landlord that you won't renew.

Finally, this one is the least troublesome.

Talk to your landlord and ask how much he'll charge you to allow you to break your lease.
Usually it's two or three months rent, give or take.
However, that's the safest legal way to get out of the 'hood.

The fact that crime is all around you, means nothing.

You're stuck with the lease, unless you start using your noggin and buy your way out for your safety.

Well that's discouraging. I've already filed a police report. I haven't informed the office yet because I'm trying to figure out my options are.
I also had an incident where I stepped outside of the apartment and the dogs came after me but were stopped by the tenant. Would I have a leg to stand on if I argued that I don't feel safe walking out of my house with those dogs up there?

Last edited:
Would I have a leg to stand on if I argued that I don't feel safe walking out of my house with those dogs up there?

No. Not for getting out of your lease.

Report the dogs to animal control if you see them unleashed.

Meantime, self preservation is nobody's business but your own. Buy a handgun and get a carry permit. If you don't want to do that, buy and carry pepper spray.

One option is to just pack up and leave and deal with the consequences when they happen.

Well that's discouraging. I've already filed a police report. I haven't informed the office yet because I'm trying to figure out my options are.
I also had an incident where I stepped outside of the apartment and the dogs came after me but were stopped by the tenant. Would I have a leg to stand on if I argued that I don't feel safe walking out of my house with those dogs up there?

You can talk to your landlord and ask HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME TO BREAK MY LEASE (most people add a reason like this) because I have to move to Montana to help a dying family member.

At least talk about it, because there is a way out, but its usually NOT free.

Then, nothing is free anymore, is it?

I was in a similar situation once where I spent one night in a place and hated it for various reasons. I wrote a nice letter to the landlord, wrote a check for one day and packed my things. I never heard from them again. There is no guarantee that this approach will work for you with no consequences but feel to try it.

Back